[SOLVED] Woo Boy, I might be over my head!

Jul 16, 2020
Hi everyone!

Sorry in advance, if my vocabulary isn't up to par. Very new in building computers, this is the second one I've done and the first one I've had my hand held throughout the process. I'm building an i7 8700k w/ 2080ti with 2 1 tb SSD's and a Blackmagic Decklink I/O card in an extra PCIE slot, all on a GIGABYTE Z390 Motherboard I'm in dire need of some assistance!

I've installed the CPU cooler and two extra fans, but with my Fractal Design R5 case I'm really confused on how the cabling works for the fan control. I don't want anything fancy at all. I'm just trying to connect the fans there to the automatic fan device thats on my case. Can anyone walk me through what I need to do? I've looked at guide after guide, and so far what I seem to be doing is just conneting the females and males of each fan to the big provided to the case.

Second question: I'm salvaging my old 1 tb ssd from my previous build and putting it in this one. Great, easy; just plopped the NVME 1 tb into the compartment and screwed it in (i hope?) but I have a second SSD that I also connected on the R5's back mount for SSD's. Now here's where I'm confused, I connected the PSU component, but I feel like I'm missing the other "piece" necessary to connect it to the motherboard's SATA port?

I can provide pictures if necessary! Someone please save this new guy, I'm terrified of turning the computer on and breaking all the $2000+ components.

Thank you all so so so much in advance.

Jul 16, 2020
(I'm aware the cable management needs some work)
View: https://imgur.com/a/uoJqb6p
A link to the setup as I have it right now, please please please let me know if I have something in the wrong place.

I just wanted to show where I felt the most confused, I have the SSD connected on the case as well with a SATA going from the ssd to the motherboard, but the other "piece" of the SSD still needs to be connected and I dont know what cord I'd need for that and how to get it on the motherboard.

With the fans, the pics should show what I have right now. I literally just connected the stock fans to the stuff r5 had going on in the back.

USAFRet

Titan
You should have something that looks like this, from your power supply.
LRMiJUO.jpg

This is the SATA power connection. It plugs direct from the PSU to the SSD.

You also have a SATA data cable, from the SSD to the motherboard.

Jul 16, 2020
You should have something that looks like this, from your power supply.
LRMiJUO.jpg

This is the SATA power connection. It plugs direct from the PSU to the SSD.

You also have a SATA data cable, from the SSD to the motherboard.

I have my SSD plugged into my PSU, but I seem to be missing/not know what I should be looking for in the SATA data cable. Would it be included in my PSU cord kit or is it an extra thing I'd have to purchase?

All the best,
JC

Jul 16, 2020
A SATA data cable is typically included with the motherboard.

I know I've been thanking you all a lot but I REALLY appreciate the help! Do you guys know if it would've came with the GIGABYTE Z390 PRO ELITE WIFI motherboard? I tried researching but my internet connection right now is super poor

Just want to know if this is something I might have to go out and buy today.

kanewolf

Titan
I know I've been thanking you all a lot but I REALLY appreciate the help! Do you guys know if it would've came with the GIGABYTE Z390 PRO ELITE WIFI motherboard? I tried researching but my internet connection right now is super poor

Just want to know if this is something I might have to go out and buy today.
Yes. Look at the 1:30 mark in this unboxing video --
View: https://youtu.be/P_upCCHscVQ

Solution

TRENDING THREADS