Wood Grained Keyboard Offers Ultimate Tactile Satisfaction

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Pshhh. My keys are made of carbon fiber with special designed wings to prevent air drag when pressing the keys :p

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
This guy may be on to something. When I first plant my hands on the keyboard to start typing, the first thing I do is feel for the ridge on my 2 home row keys to make sure I'm on center without having to look down first. Same goes with the numpad, I make sure my middle finger feels the ridge on the 5 key first so I know I'm centered. If you could *feel* each key, then you'll get a more positive notion of not second guessing yourself if you you think you over reached a certain key. Also, I'm not terribly great with symbols on the top row of numbers, but if I could feel them I m would not have to always look down.

Anyway, he may have glued them to an existing keyboard, but as the article states this is a prototype and I imagine that if interest peaks, he could do his own fabrication and include different keyswitches and layouts.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Why not put braille notation on the keys. That would definitely make them unique and you may actually, over time, learn to read/feel the keys or elevator markings :)

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]ridges would be very uncomfortable to type on.[/citation]

That was my thought. I wonder what problem he is trying to solve by making each key uniquely identifiable by touch. Touch typists don't need to feel an "a" explicitly to know the key in that location is an "a".

bad_student

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I just spent $150 on a top tier mechanical keyboard. I don't wanna hear that there's better for at least the next 5-10 years that mine will last.
So, yeah, put me down for "F34R TEH SPLINTX0RZ"

bad_student

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
but now that ridges have been mentioned, it would be neat to have all keyboards come with brail. We'd learn the brail alphabet as a bonus from playing video games all day. Note: dvorak users would be fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.