Question Work-around for AMD/XFX Negligence?

May 20, 2019
I own an RX 560 (4g) XFX AMD graphics card and have windows 8.1 as my operating system. Even though the RX 560 box clearly states that Windows 8 is supported, to my dismay I discovered it is not. I called XFX and their tech support laughed. I contacted AMD and they chose not to respond. I included the attachment of a photo of the box that indicates Windows 8 is supported--but AMD and XFX remains indifferent. At the moment, I cannot afford another operating system. Is there any one out there who can provide a work-around so I can at the very least get dual monitors working? I tried legacy drivers for the RX 460, windows 7 and 10 drivers and none work so far. Any work around or link would be greatly appreciated.

May 20, 2019
XFX were kind enough to offer me an RX460 graphics card if I returned the RX560. Isn't that just great of them? such generosity. I paid for an RX560, so why not get that RX460? The tech support was having a good laugh.

Rather than continue to be angry, I would prefer a solution so I can get some basic functionality from the card until my circumstances changes. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019
@bignastyid I have the driver installed for the RX460 but the drivers do not work (I tried many). As for upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1, that was discontinued by Microsoft. Unless you can give me explicit instructions to upgrade and where/how I can do it without going to some dodgy site, I would prefer it to work on Windows 8.1, even though it may be limited. Microsoft, AMD, and XFX will not help. They just want you to buy more and I am not in the situation to do that right now. But someone in the community may know of a work around...I hope.

BringerOfTea

Reputable
@bignastyid I have the driver installed for the RX460 but the drivers do not work (I tried many). As for upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1, that was discontinued by Microsoft. Unless you can give me explicit instructions to upgrade and where/how I can do it without going to some dodgy site, I would prefer it to work on Windows 8.1, even though it may be limited. Microsoft, AMD, and XFX will not help. They just want you to buy more and I am not in the situation to do that right now. But someone in the community may know of a work around...I hope.

You have your 8.1 key or is it a OEM one?

That's only official MS's stance but in actuality they still permit free update even from W7. Best to make a backup (which you should have anyway) and try to update.

May 20, 2019
I have a Windows 8 Pro disk, with key. All the info I read explicitly states that Microsoft will not permit an upgrade to 10 unless I pay whatever it costs for a Windows 10 key. So right now, I do not have the money. That means I am stuck with 8.1 until things change. Simply writing, 'oh, it will work' is not sufficient. I will not wipe my hard drive for the computer to demand a valid windows 10 key and then go back to reinstalling windows 8 and wasting a couple of days. So back to the driver...is there perhaps a legacy driver that might give me dual screen?

I have a Windows 8 Pro disk, with key. All the info I read explicitly states that Microsoft will not permit an upgrade to 10 unless I pay whatever it costs for a Windows 10 key. So right now, I do not have the money. That means I am stuck with 8.1 until things change. Simply writing, 'oh, it will work' is not sufficient. I will not wipe my hard drive for the computer to demand a valid windows 10 key and then go back to reinstalling windows 8 and wasting a couple of days. So back to the driver...is there perhaps a legacy driver that might give me dual screen?
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree average time for backup 15 minutes, about as long for restoring.
Just couple of months ago I updated my old W7 computer to W10, no questions asked, worked first time and still works.

May 20, 2019
Any hackers out there (in the noble MIT sense), that can get the 'ol Rx 560 working on Windows 8.1 like the freakin' box says? I would prefer a Libre OS, but AMD/ATI graphics hardware does not work on that either. : - ( Hoarders may make piles of money, that is true, hackers, that is true. But they cannot help their neighbour...

bignastyid

Titan
As I said they don't advertise it but the free upgrade still works. Just download the install media from Microsoft and
@CountMike This is starting to look like a troll. Instead of pointing me to dodgy software, care to explain how you are able to get the free upgrade, which is now no longer permitted? Some reading.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

The only person acting like a troll here is you. Macrium is not dodgy software, and the free upgrade still works.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
May 20, 2019
Yes, I am a troll who cites the official source. I have tried to upgrade after the official expiry date and that did not work out because Microsoft is quite explicit about their policy. You have conjecture and I have facts. Further, Macrium wants money, which I do not have in abundance. So it seems that is the only solution, which is a shame. You pay in good faith and then are still left out in the cold.

So in the XFX box (which clealry states Windows 8.1 is supported), there is a driver disc with drivers for Windows 7 and 10, but not 8. Nice. There's gotta be something...

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
Yes, I am a troll who cites the official source. I have tried to upgrade after the official expiry date and that did not work out because Microsoft is quite explicit about their policy. You have conjecture and I have facts.

I have experience and reports from many other users that it still works. I have done multiple upgrades since the free update was suppose to end.

Anyway good luck I'm done wasting my time trying to help one whom will not listen.

May 20, 2019
@bignastyid I have asked you before and I will ask again, exactly HOW do you do the upgrade? You are saying go upgrade. Provide a link with instructions, please and thank you. Show me for the troll you claim I am. I would LOVE to be wrong. Show me. Link/instructions on upgrade please. My Windows 8.1 install is not giving me the option. Let's see what you got.

Follow the steps above and it should work.
Even if the key doesnt work, you can use windows 10 unactivated for free. I ran win ten unactivated for a couple of months.
Some people here might disagree, but you can buy a windows 10 pro key for like sub $15 online from bulk key retailers like SCD keys.

Why fix something you shouldn’t have too. If the box states 8/8.1 is supported but actually it is not that is grounds to send the card back for a full refund, let the seller deal with XFX why you buy a different card.

Also the advice about still upgrading is good. What Microsoft say and what they do are known to be different. People are still successfully upgrading for free.

I own an RX 560 (4g) XFX AMD graphics card and have windows 8.1 as my operating system. Even though the RX 560 box clearly states that Windows 8 is supported, to my dismay I discovered it is not.

FWIW, I'm using an RX 480 GPU, and the I don't have ANY issues installing the drivers on my Windows 8.1 OS, 64 bit copy. I used the driver listed for WINDOWS 10, and it works flawlessly. Just checked my second boot partition, in which I'm currently having Win 8.1 installed, and the driver installs easily. I did a CLEAN re-install of the drivers.

Windows 10 OS drivers work fine on Windows 8.1 OS, at least based on my experience. There is no harm in trying. Install the win 10 driver.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
I looked and indeed there seems to be no driver. I bet someone could hack the driver, but if you'd want to keep it up to date, it would be a major hassle. Or maybe you can flash the VGA BIOS to report as RX460, either way it's not gonna be straightforward.

You might want to take 'advantage' of the offer to swap for the RX460, since it's the same card so you won't lose anything.

I believe it's still possible to downgrade to W10 by using an accessibility workardound. I don't know the details, look for accessibility upgrade. MS is trying really hard to push everyone from W7/8.x to 10 so there probably are other ways too. It's way more lucrative to not need to support older OS, not to mention all the valuable telemetry data and subscriptions. A few $ for a licence key is nothing compared to that.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Go here

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-560

Download the Windows 10 driver it does work on Win 8.1

As for the Win 10 upgrade, download the Windows Media Creation Tool here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

use it to make a bootable USB, boot your system with it, It will detect your current Windows Install, then tell it to do an upgrade (this will be obvious from the menu) and keep all your current software etc.

This is not conjecture I've upgraded multiple desktops and laptops form Windows 7 and Windows 8 this way, in the past year even, and every single one worked.

And at the risk of fueling the fire I too have had issues with XFX tech support being jerks and telling me to bug off when I asked about support for missing features that are ON THE BOX. So I do believe you there.