[SOLVED] Work From Home Network

Aug 18, 2020
I will admit I am a bit of a noob when it comes to home networks.
I have 4 people working from home, all at the same time, using voIP and connecting to VPNs. Our set up was working fine until about two weeks ago and now every time we all connect, the Internet shuts off.
Looking to purchase a new router to see if that fixes the problem. We all have to be connected via ethernet to work.
Our budget is around $450 max. We are pretty heavy Internet users. A lot of online gaming, streaming etc.

Edit: adding more background information.

I have Comcast Xfinity 1000mb/s cable Internet. When the connection issue started I bought a Netgear RAX80 router and this didn't fix the issue.
Comcast sent out techs to check our lines running to the house. They ended up replacing all the lines from the house to their tap box outside.
That didn't fix the issue. We also replaced the modem with a new Netgear cm1000. Still not working.
At this point I've contacted Netgear and Comcast so many times I've lost count. It seems like I'm on my own with this

Solution
For business operations, you need business gear. Get an enterprise or small business class router for $100-200 (even less if used). Keep your consumer one to use as an AP.

If you can afford enterprise gear like fortigate, palo alto, and watchguard, those are great too. Watchguard especially if you don't know networking as it's a little friendlier. But keep in mind a little friendlier doesn't mean simpler--enterprise routers are at 4x as complex as consumer ones and small business is at least 2x. This doesn't mean complicated, just more things to understand during setup.
For business operations, you need business gear. Get an enterprise or small business class router for $100-200 (even less if used). Keep your consumer one to use as an AP.

If you can afford enterprise gear like fortigate, palo alto, and watchguard, those are great too. Watchguard especially if you don't know networking as it's a little friendlier. But keep in mind a little friendlier doesn't mean simpler--enterprise routers are at 4x as complex as consumer ones and small business is at least 2x. This doesn't mean complicated, just more things to understand during setup.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 18, 2020

I would like to spend $400 or less if possible for a new router. What would be your recommendations in that price range?

I was going to recommend something, but now that I started thinking about it, I would ask the IT dept where you guys work (if you work at the same place, if not, ask them all). The reason being is that they will really know what will work best to not interfere with anything they have installed to allow you to remotely work. A lot of the enterprise equipment I was going to recommend can also be on the other end of your connection which can cause configuration issues. Also, if you're all working at the same company and are willing to invest this much in IT equipment, I would think the IT dept would tell you exactly what to get and can remotely set it up for you in such a way where you can use it to directly connect to their network via a single vpn tunnel. I do this with my sites as it makes the remote endpoint setup much easier since no vpn client is needed.