Work laptop required! Please help, I need one soon!

Oct 21, 2019
1. What is your budget?
£750

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Around 15"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Whatever is best within my budget

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
A few hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so, then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low, medium or high)?
I would like to be able to run Civilisation V, Skyrim and similar games on this laptop. Medium-high settings would be all right.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, etc.)
Photo editing and digital art, streaming films, video call, etc.

8. How much storage (hard drive capacity) do you need?
512GB SSD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
N/A

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
5 years +

11. What kind of optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer, etc.?
N/A

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No specifics, but I’d rather not buy a random name.

13. What country do you live in?
The UK.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I’ve moved homes without my desktop and need a work laptop that can also double up as a bit of an all-rounder. I don’t really need it for games, so I am open to one that otherwise comes well recommended. Also, is it worth waiting until Black Friday? I really need one soon!

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
for 3. resolution refers to the pixel count that makes up the 15 inch screen for example full HD is 1920x1080 pixels and that resolution is available on screens as small as three inches. the amount of pixels will determine how much GPU oomph you will need. please revise to resolution not panel size

for 8. you are confusing RAM with hard drive/SSD size. windows 10 will not even install to an 8GB storage device. typical sizes are 240GB 480GB 500GB 750GB 1TB, 2TB, 3TB, 6Tb, 8TB. for video editing I would suggest a minimum of 16GB RAM and at least a 480GB SSD with an external hard drive for mass storage.

Oct 21, 2019
Hi R_1,

Thank you for your reply. I've edited my original message after reading your post. Also, to clarify, I don't need my laptop for video editing, but would like it for photo editing.