PCJON

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
My work PC has now become my own (for home use)

and I'd like to make the necessary upgrades to run new games ( including SC2, Battlefield 3, and Guild Wars 2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108549
^ a link to my computer

My question is how will i know if a specific GPU and other components will fit on to the motherboard?

at the moment my current list of upgrades only include a GPU and a new power supply, as far as other possible upgrades...id love to hear some suggestions.

christoj

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
It has a pci express x16 on it so any GPU should be good on it. Definitely a new power supply for the new GPU needs. Get a reputable brand and determine which GPU you want before you settle on your PSU. Most GPU's will have a minimum PSU recommendation.

Everything else looks pretty solid! Nice pick up from work! I try to do the same, but I've yet to land a dual core anything :(

DEY123

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Also before you get any graphics card make sure it will actually fit. I have a feeling things might be a bit tight in your case. Also measure how much space you have for thee PSU before buying so you can make sure your new one fits in the space.

Also you may want to make sure you don't get a card that is too hot if you don't have more then the one openeing in the back for a fan.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
The description of your computer regarding the PCIe slots:
Slot 1: half-length, full-height, PCI Express x16 (45w max)
Slot 2: half-length, full-height, PCI Express x1
Slot 3: half-length, full-height, PCI Express x1
Slot 4: half-length, full-height, 32-bit PCI 2.3

It says 45w max but that's most likely because of the 180W power supply. It should be fine if you get a better power supply with at least 380W from Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair. Newegg should still have some MIR offers for those at the moment. You will only be able to fit half length cards only. Your case's dimensions are 15.4" x 6.3" x 14.0" so you should look for a half length card around 6 inch or less in height. Best of luck and have fun gaming!

PCJON

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Half-length..... :eek: well damn

TRENDING THREADS