Workaround for desktop LED bar?

Chris092881

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
I purchased a really cheap little LED light bar that can sit vertically or horizontally on my desk. It's nice to turn off all the lights while I'm using my laptop as it provides just enough ambient light to be effective. All the USB ports on my laptop are taken up by my mouse and flash drive. The light bar won't work unless it's constantly receiving power from a USB source. So if the computer goes to sleep or I shut it off, that's the end of my light. My question is, what is a workaround to keep the light bar constantly on without using one of my computers ports or constantly having my computer on and removing the flash drive, freeing up a port? I believe most USB ports output about 2.5 watts of power. I don't wanna buy one of those units with multiple ports just to power this thing. I was thinking one of those cheap charging bricks they sell at the pharmacy, therefore bypassing the computer altogether, and also having constant light. Any better ideas?

I purchased a really cheap little LED light bar that can sit vertically or horizontally on my desk. It's nice to turn off all the lights while I'm using my laptop as it provides just enough ambient light to be effective. All the USB ports on my laptop are taken up by my mouse and flash drive. The light bar won't work unless it's constantly receiving power from a USB source. So if the computer goes to sleep or I shut it off, that's the end of my light. My question is, what is a workaround to keep the light bar constantly on without using one of my computers ports or constantly having my computer on and removing the flash drive, freeing up a port? I believe most USB ports output about 2.5 watts of power. I don't wanna buy one of those units with multiple ports just to power this thing. I was thinking one of those cheap charging bricks they sell at the pharmacy, therefore bypassing the computer altogether, and also having constant light. Any better ideas?

Yes a USB charger wall plug will work fine, you probably have a bunch lying around from phones, etc..