Question worked flawlessly for 1yr, got home and dead

mhyde7

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
So i got home and computer was off, i thought power maybe went out and back on... tried turn on
quick flash of lights and nothing
changed out the ram from ram from other system, nothing
then tried two other supplies, both of which were out of working units... nothing

so what is happening is that the gang of leds just next to the mobo power plug, the cpu led flashes - and fans spin for split second... then nothing

bad/fried cpu perhaps?

from memory
Its tomahawk arsenal gaming mobo
radeon 64 gpu
originally it had the 750 evga ps, but also tried a 1000 and another 750
IDR the cpu exactly, but wanna say like ryzen 5 perhaps
and trident Z RGB g skill ram sticks of 16gb (2x)

what gets me is that i built this over year ago and since then had been working flawlessly

I am prepared to get new cpu, if that is maybe why the cpu led light flashes like it does... maybe it is trying to tell me the cpu fried?

mhyde7

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
Have you tried booting with just 1 stick of RAM in the 2nd DIMM slot?
What drives do you have in this PC?
Have you tried booting with no drives connected to see if you can get into the BIOS?

ok yes - since having posted this and googling resolutions...i tried one stick in a2 - nothing

i have ssd crucial 500gb - i will try as you suggest

it will be little bit, i need get to bed it is late here
But i will try and report back- thx!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think your motherboard's dead - but I've only had that happen to me once though, but with a Z390 Aorus Master.
LEDs flash on, and right back off like you describe, and nothing.
Breadboarded it - same behavior.
RMA'd and got another Z390 Aorus Master - all good.

mhyde7

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
So i removed the hard drive, - then guess what- it fired up like, but then the hub for fan and rgb lighting thing started smoking
so as soon as i saw smoke i pulled the cord, so unsure if it went to bios or not, but it did stay on and fan ran for the entire time up until i pulled plug

in researching when i bought/built this system to see if maybe under warranty- due to all new parts
i built it in july 2019- would / could the mobo still be under warranty?? or am i sol >> ?

mhyde7

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
im thinking/wondering if maybe i need to bypass that hub somehow...lights i dont care about- but fan controller part of that device, i suspect i can just hook direct to board somehow?

the case is
NZXT H500i and has that hub controller thing up by the top

BUT WHY - these fail over time or is it commonplace?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That does sound like the Smart Device Hub has failed somehow. It definitely should NOT smoke!!

Disconnect all the cables to that Hub - fans, RGB lights, USB2 cable and especially the PSU connection. Your NZXT CAM utility probably will give you errors when the Hub does not respond to it, but ignore that for now.

This will leave the lights un-powered and un-controlled, but we can deal with that later. However, you do need to get power and control to your fans. The case website says it comes with two AER F fans, which are 4-pin (PWM type) fans. Is that correct? To advise how best to connect them, we need o know the maker and exact model number of your mobo. Then we can look up its details and advise fully.

mhyde7

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
That does sound like the Smart Device Hub has failed somehow. It definitely should NOT smoke!!

Disconnect all the cables to that Hub - fans, RGB lights, USB2 cable and especially the PSU connection. Your NZXT CAM utility probably will give you errors when the Hub does not respond to it, but ignore that for now.

This will leave the lights un-powered and un-controlled, but we can deal with that later. However, you do need to get power and control to your fans. The case website says it comes with two AER F fans, which are 4-pin (PWM type) fans. Is that correct? To advise how best to connect them, we need o know the maker and exact model number of your mobo. Then we can look up its details and advise fully.
Hey thx paperdoc

so- i bypassed the controller and hooked fans direct to mobo- they are actually 3pin connections, but i slide onto the 4pin risers off mobo- all fans are working

With ssd plugged in- computer does same thing as described above (Original problem)

with ssd disconnected - it boots up and has the boot led on- in that gang of leds by the mobo power connection.

so does this mean the ssd is fried? it goes to BIOS with no SSD hooked up

how can SSD go bad in 14 months (bought july 2019)

mhyde7

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
what puzzels me, is the smoking from the controller hub, AND bad SSD... can that be? too much of coincidence >> >?? idk
Or maybe one going bad caused the other to fail or something >> idk

but got bios screen now, and all fans working full tilt, which im okay with tbh for now anyways-

but so i guess need new ssd? i think i may have one somewhere - but no OS on it i bet

and then how does one get the data off that original one?? and tbh im not sure i ever had ssd go bad on me

mhyde7

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
ive got half of mind to try like a new sata cord, or new power cord to the ssd...? or different sata port?

idk those may be possibilities, but unlikey
all this stuff is new 1-1.25 years old.

mhyde7

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
so i ordered a new hardrive

but can/would a bad harddrive cause this type of issue? perhpas so, but im concerned that i get the new hd in (ssd) and it does same thing

i have had bad harddrives before (granted hdd, not ssd's) but never had this kinda of trouble with them.??

mhyde7

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
okay so back to this weird problem

i got the new hardrive in
iso disk image on usb

Ready to fire it up and all that
and then it is doing the same exact thing with the new hard drive as the old

If i turn on machine without the hardrive connected it goes to bios screen no problem
If i have the hardrive connected and turn on- nothing happens

If i turn on no hardrive, let it get to bios screen and then connect hard drive- poof shuts right down
BUT it will only do that once i connect power to hard drive- i can connect the sata cable and it is fine
it is not until i connect power that it shuts down or doesnt start
but if i have the sata cable only connected it will fire up and go to bios.

so what would cause or whats the problem im having not being able to connect power to ANY hard drive?

mhyde7

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
so any help from anyone??
given it is not the PS, SSD, ram.... am i just left to replacing the MOBO>> ? but the mobo works doesnt it? given i am able to get into bios screen and all that??

what is my next step to look for or check? how or why does the computer shut down soon as i connect power to SSD, not even with sata cable connected

weird no??

Last edited:
so any help from anyone??
given it is not the PS, SSD, ram.... am i just left to replacing the MOBO>> ? but the mobo works doesnt it? given i am able to get into bios screen dn all that??

what is my next step to look for or check? how or why does the computer shut down soon as i connect power to SSD, not even with sata cable connected

weird no??
Have you tried booting the motherboard outside the case?

mhyde7

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
Have you tried booting the motherboard outside the case?

So what do / does that mean exactly? just what it sounds like??
like just pull it out of case and connect peripherals up and try firing it up ??

no havent tried that yet. but i will tomorrow

i am seeing something on line about using different cables from different modular supplies. but how explains the problem from the onset? the cables were the same as they always had been.

Last edited:
like just pull it out of case and connect peripherals up and try firing it up ??

i am seeing something on line about using different cables from different modular supplies. but how explains the problem from the onset? the cables were the same as they always had been.
Take the motherboard outside the case and only connect the parts you need to boot.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKhCQmKAmEM

If you're using different cables to the ones that came with the psu then the pinouts could be totally different.

Doesn't matter if all the psu's are Evga and the cables actually fit , if they're different models then they're likely different manufacturers. (Evga are notorious for this)

This would explain burning the fan hub out and the ssd, live to ground and ground to live would do exactly that.

TRENDING THREADS