Working on new build-NEED GPU Advice.

Aug 30, 2018
I'm in the process of putting together my parts list for my new DPC build and am stuck at the GPU thus needing some advice. Long and short, Intel build Core i7-8700K, ASUS Maximus Formula X, SSD, and 32GB RAM. My main use of the PC will be for video editing and rendering with 4K needs. I do play some games like Flight Sim and COD, but I'm not a huge gamer and will not be running any crazy overclock tweaks. I don't want to drop a ton of money on my GPU (because this build is already very $) and would rather cut as much of a corner there if I can, so with main consideration of Video editing and rendering with 4K, what Nvidea GPU would give me the best bang for my $ and run anything I need it to without destroying my wallet further?

Solution
Almost any modern NVidia card will do 4K video editing, it all depends how fast you want to get the job done. Personally, I wouldn't look at anything lower than a GTX 1060 6GB, but not knowing your budget, I don't know if you're looking for something better or something cheaper.

BTW, what resolution are you going to be using for the gaming? If 1080p, then the GTX 1060 6GB will be fine. If it's 4K, you're going to need a better GPU for that, like a 1080 or 1080ti, these of course will be faster at video editing work too.
Almost any modern NVidia card will do 4K video editing, it all depends how fast you want to get the job done. Personally, I wouldn't look at anything lower than a GTX 1060 6GB, but not knowing your budget, I don't know if you're looking for something better or something cheaper.

BTW, what resolution are you going to be using for the gaming? If 1080p, then the GTX 1060 6GB will be fine. If it's 4K, you're going to need a better GPU for that, like a 1080 or 1080ti, these of course will be faster at video editing work too.

Solution
I'd build this computer with no videocard, just use integrated graphics. Then do some of your editing. Then you can evaluate where you need hardware acceleration, if you do. "Video editing" covers a lot of ground. Editing and arranging clips is one thing, using layer upon layer of effects is another.