Working on Updates (installing them) is so slow

BladePocok

Honorable
Aug 2, 2016
Hi,

I've recently bought a high-end PC and the updates installing process seems quite slow. For example there was a new cumulative "patch" yesterday,and it took almost 10 mins to apply it (i don't think that it is normal in these circumstances)

Am I overreact it or is it normal?

Solution

OMG, imagine the size of a cumulative update from fresh install of win 7... my old internet connection would have just given up and said, see you tomorrow :)

If you have...

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

I just installed KB3176938 and it took less than 5 mins. Is Windows on an SSD drive? Your internet speed could play a part?

It can easily take 10 min. to download and install a 330 MB (64 bit, 210 MB for 32 bit) update. With earlier versions of Windows the updates weren't cumulative so they were greatly smaller. Never fear though, come next month, Microsoft is going with cumulative updates for 7 and 8.1 as well.
Of course that's good news and bad news. For those of us with fast download speeds, it means you don't have to download & install a couple of hundred update files. But for those still with slow download speeds, leaving automatic updates on gets prohibitively slow.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
It would also depend on whether you had any of the other recent cumulative updates already installed, if not it would have to install the whole package instead of just any changes to the already installed updates.

Colif

Win 11 Master

OMG, imagine the size of a cumulative update from fresh install of win 7... my old internet connection would have just given up and said, see you tomorrow :)

If you have Version 1607 there has only been one update since then so the cumulative from 1607 is only going to be small now. 1607 already included all the updates when it was released last month. Fact we get a new version of windows 10 every 8 months also reduces the actual size of the cumulative updates so it will be a long time before their size becomes too big to consider - probably after windows 11 is ever released.
Thinking about it, its probably easier for Microsoft to never make a new windows but instead just release a new version of win 10 every 8 months or so. Any new features can be rolled into it then and they still make just as much money selling an always up to date OS rather than having to make a new one every few years. Someone said they eventually just drop the 10 and call it Windows, and that makes sense too as no one will ever wonder when next version is due.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, one update a month will be slower as it includes the malicious software tool which scans hdd and removes anything windows finds offensive - or at least, harmful to windows. I notice they come out on a Wednesday so looking every day is a little excessive :)