Workout routine for Gym?

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
So Im going to get a gym membership and I dont know much about weight lifting. My aim is to build muscle and lose fat and get jacked overal. Kind of like Chris Hemsworth. I was wondering if any of you had any experience in weight body buidling and maybe give me some advice. Id like some specific routines like what machines/weights to use, how long and how many reps, stuff like that. How long can I expect to get a body like Thors? How long should I workout? How many days per week should I workout? What are some good pre and post-workout snacks/meals? Some food and supplement suggestions would be useful too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Herald
If you do less reps with heavier weights, your muscles will get larger than if you do more reps with a lighter weight typically. (Say 20 reps with 40lbs vs 40 reps with 20lbs). However, if you do not do enough reps your muscles will not have as much endurance and will not be able to work out as long. For instance, I use lighter weights (not too light moderate) and do 3200 arm curls every night. I do 2 sets of 1600. My biceps are large, yes, but not as large as some others using super heavy weights. But when it comes down to using my muscles for very long periods of time I win.

Oh, and eat lots of meat throughout the day! Protein helps a lot from personal experience. Avoid sugar before working out — eat carbohydrates instead.

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

would i have to pay for that program??

fall0ut3

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

I'm sorry but the bro science in this comment is beyond our reach.
OP, eat whatever the fuck you wanna eat, and train however the fuck you want to train. Sooner or later you will learn how to work with your body. Just make sure you have passion and rage for this "hobby", otherwise whatever you learn wont account to shit.

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

I think I know, but a rep is every time you lift the weight and a set is sections of reps between breaks?? Also do you mind sharing with me your routine, like which machines/weights you use in which order for each muscle group? I know it may sound like alot of information to provide but it would help alot.

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

I feel like I would manage to find some way to workout wrong.

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Herald
Sorry, I meant I do 2 sets. I did not start out that way with 3200 reps (2 sets of 1600 reps). I started with like 5 sets of 10 and the next day was so sore. That was like years ago. TBH I don't use a gym, I cannot afford that. I use dumbells and push-ups so my advice might not be too relevant for you.

Food is VERYT important. Food = energy = better workout

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

what do you mean 1600 reps? is that how many times you lift??

i7Baby

Titan
BANNED

Most gyms don't charge. They are also forced to do this to cut down on injuries eg torn muscles and hence lawsuits.

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

ok thanks!

fall0ut3

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

Just make sure your form is correct and use weight you're comfortable with. If you are that worried, just take it easy the first few weeks and see what works good for you. Then when you get a little confident go hardcore at the gym.

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

does it matter what equipment you use as long as it makes you sore the next day?

i7Baby

Titan
BANNED
Yes it does. Yours start prgram will be different to your next program and so on. They'll change machine and reps and sets to suit your program. Programs are usually spilt into body sections - arms and chest, stomach and legs, etc.

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

What if the gym im going to go to does have any of these programs?

i7Baby

Titan
BANNED

I haven't seen a gym that doesn't. Talk to someone you know who goes to a local gym and get a better idea from them as to what's available.

fall0ut3

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

Simply adapt. I remember a year ago I couldn't access a gym for about a month, so me and my friend went to the park and alternated weights/barbells/dumbbells/plates with bags of sand/semi pull up bars/ using each other as weights....
Just be creative man.

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

if one rep is lifting the weight up and down, how did u do 1600 and 3200 reps? again, which machines should i use for each muscle group?

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

i meant programs like instructions/tutorials on which equipment to use when like one of you said earlier

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Herald
I used to do arm curls on a wooden chair, not even kidding. I grabbed the beam on the bottom and did them. IMO you do not need a personal trainer. You KNOW when YOUR body is either not being strained enough or is being strained too much. Just start with a low weight and gradually get higher. Try different weights out. If at first you cannot do 10 reps a set it is too much weight. Remember what I said about more reps vs more weight.

Also, to the above 2 sets of 1600 = 2 x 1600 = 3200 reps.

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

so should i just experiment with all the different machines and see which ones suit me?

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Herald
If a trainer is free, might as well use them for advise. It can only help not hurt. Different machines work different muscles. If you want Thor, triceps and biceps and forearm are important for arms. Dumbell exercises can actually work out all those.

ASK THE COMMUNITY