Workout routine for Gym?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

thanks! I have one last question: how long can I expect it to take to get fit like chris hemsworth/ evans?

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

im 6'2 16 years old and about 205lbs

Jalero196

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014

I was in your situation when i was young. What i would do if i was you is to start on a basic push/ pull plan (just google one) using low weights and high repetitions just to break your body in. After about a month of doing this if you feel confident enough you can start upping the weights you use and eventually try out a compound movement plan, which targets several groups of muscles in one exercise, its a real killer. Also worth mentioning is you should drink as much water as possible, and calculate how much protein you will need so that you can recover in time and get gains :) Any questions PM me.

jjb8675309

Splendid
I have never been in better shape my entire life then now. The reason: Crossfit. Also you do not need to join an expensive gym, a lot of the equipment you can make on your own. Google it, there is a wealth of information out there.

fall0ut3

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

ohh please baby, let's not tell the poor child that being paralyzed is alright. He just wants to look good...

jjb8675309

Splendid
^Huh?

My overall message is that doing curls and bench-press does not make you look good unless your going for a dad-bod. These are not functional movements. A grape-on-a-toothpick; not a good look.

imo this is an awful way to work out:
Monday: chest day
Tuesday: arm day... etc.

instead you should try to work out full body everyday, thus crossfit.

fall0ut3

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

Have I mentioned anything you've just said? You are making false assumptions. Furthermore, doing kipping pull ups and powercleans while squatting down on a medicine ball alltogether putting straps on your neck wont do much as well.
crossfit makes your good at crossfit, so unless he wants to go compete in that sport, it is useless for him to do it.
However, everybody is different and what works for me might not work for him (just as much as what worked for you wont necessarily work for him), so go experiment both weight lifting and crossfit.

Aaron9546

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Get my routine mate works good for me

Monday chest and triceps
4 sets dumbell flat press
4 sets dumbell incline press
3 sets bench press flat
3 sets incline bench press
3 sets cable flys
3 sets dips
3 sets skull crushers
3 sets tricep kick backs
Teusday back and biceps
4 sets pull ups
4 sets machine rows
3 sets lat pulldowns
3 sets tbar rows
4 sets deadlifts ( 2-4 reps )
3 sets shrugs
3 sets bicep curls ( bar )
3 sets bicep curls ( dumbell on a raised stand )
2 sets no weighted pull ups
wednesday legs
5 sets squats
4 sets lunges
4 sets leg press
4 sets 9 machine you put your legs on and raise them up
3 sets reverse or previous
4 sets calf raises
2 sets max squats
Thursday shoulders
5 sets shoulder press
4 sets hand stand push ups
3 sets front/side dumbel raises each arm obviously
Friday arms
Just smash the shit out of your arms for about an hour

Edit: switch shoulder and leg day for tricep rest

Inachu

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
If you have never worked out before then keep it super simple so you do not hurt any muscle.

Because the very first time you will get the shakes. We all have. A good safe place to start is 3 sets of 8. After one week of that then you can migrate to other routines but everyones muscles are different and what works for one person may not work for you so explore around and ask the in house trainers for any further advice.

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

So uhhhhhhhh..... Its been a while since I looked at this site. I know what Im doing now but Im gonna incorporate some of these exercises too. Thanks! :D

deadfish

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
lame... thats too much volume... maybe it works for you but not for a beginner like OP.

do this program: StrongLifts 5x5 just google it.

YouTube: Starting Strength,
Alan Thrall , Buff Dudes

Aaron9546

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

All those programs are terrible in my opinion, it's focusing on different things.

Just because your a beginner doesn't mean you can take it easy

I recently changed my work out to this

Monday: Chest and back
Teusday: Legs
Wednesday: Shoulders and arms
Thursday: Legs
Friday: Chest and back

This including a fat diet of red meat ( and veg for the body ) will give you a good body if you stick to something like that for a year+

My volume has decreased since but the work outs take a lot more energy now. My chest and back work outs now look more like

chest
Flat bench press 1 warm up set 20-25 reps then 4 sets 10 reps
Incline bench press 4 sets 10 reps
decline bench press 4 sets 10 reps
weighted dips 4 sets 10 reps
cable flies 4 sets 10 reps
back
weighted pull ups 20-25 reps warm up then 4 sets 10 reps
weighted pull ups ( close grip ) 4 sets 10 reps
T-Bar row 4 sets 10-15 reps
dumbell rows 3 sets 10 reps
shrugs 4/5 sets 10 reps
optional: Deadlift 4 sets

That's a heavy routine to hit.

Jul 25, 2018
Well, that's good if you want to improve your body fitness. A lot of friends of mine join gym and quit with in two months. My suggestion to you is that once you start going gym, then you should continue it till you achieve your required body fitness.

ASK THE COMMUNITY