works dual channel if i use 3 slots?

Jul 11, 2018
Hello i have 2 modules of same model ddr3-1333ghz in dual channel. I have in total 8gb,i want to amply to 12Gb so my question is, i have 4 slots, if i put another 4gb module of the same model in third slots, will it broke the dual channel?? should i put it on 2gb in the another 2 slots to make another dual channel?? how it works?

Solution
Dual channel only works with pairs (two sticks) of RAM, hence the name. Buy 2 more sticks that are the same model/speed. This ensures the RAM wont downclock to speed of the slowest stick of RAM.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unless I'm mistaken, dual channel only works with pairs of memory. If you add a third RAM module, your system with revert to single channel mode. Personally, I'd go with another kit exactly like what you already have, but if you need to go with less, then you should go with a pair of 2GB RAM modules as close to what you currently have (Speed, Timings, CAS Latency).

-Wolf sends

PlasmaQuasar

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
Dual channel only works with pairs (two sticks) of RAM, hence the name. Buy 2 more sticks that are the same model/speed. This ensures the RAM wont downclock to speed of the slowest stick of RAM.

Solution
Aug 21, 2018
I have a question similar to the edurnezuri00.

Now, I'm using 3 slots in a Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H.
Manual says about dual channel mode and I have to fill 2 or 4 slots to be able to enable it.

1. Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one DDR3 memory module is installed.
2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used. For optimum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets.

About the answer from PlasmaQuasar, what about if I have channel A (slots 1 and 3) with 4 Gb each, and have channel B (slots 2 and 4) with 2 Gb each one?
The speed of the whole set of memory will work at 2 Gb?
Or I'd have a system with different speeds running together?

TIA.