[SOLVED] (Works on Linux) When I install a GPU Driver, seconds later it gives a black screen, then Repairing PC infinite cycle, unless I uninstall the driver.

Kid Cali

Honorable
May 19, 2014
I tried two graphics card which work in my other system. Once I install a driver the screen goes black, pc shuts off and then reboots, then on the loading screen of windows it shut off (giving a black screen) then reboots, then eventually shows the repairing PC screen. The only way to boot normally is by going into safe mode and using Display Driver Uninstaller. I tried using Windows 7, 8, and 10 which gives the same results. I updated to the latest bios and the results did not change.

I also tried it with another CPU (Celeron G1610) and get the same results.

Motherboard: GA-H61M-S29V Rev 2.2
Power Supply: Corsair TX750W
Graphics Cards: GTX 950 FTW & R9 290X Tri-X OC
CPU: i5 3570
RAM: 2x 8gb GB Patriot Viper 2133mhz - I also tried a 2gb 1066 MHz stick and 8gb 1600mhz Hyper Fury stick.

OS tried: Window 10, Windows 8.1, Window 7 SP1,

I did try Ubuntu with the 290X and the GPU worked with an updated driver, no crashes and was able to reboot. Windows for some reason doesn't work?

Last edited:
Solution
I just tried using Linux again, I successfully installed the driver and was able to play a game which utilized the updated driver. Any thoughts on why driver installation doesn't work on windows?

Can't troubleshoot past what you tried without trying more different hardware to rule out issues with motherboard. Linux drivers won't use the card in the same way as Windows. Could still be a bad card or issue with the motherboard.

Kid Cali

Honorable
May 19, 2014
Does system work without the video cards installed? If it does, then issue would be the power supply or PCIe slot if both cards are good in other systems.

When I have no card installed, the system doesn't POST, I think it beeps once then shuts off. The power supply is tested and works with both cards in another system. The last time I attached the 950 with the GA-H61M-S29V, it installed the Intel Graphics Driver and was working with no restarts while the DVI was attached to the 950, nothing was attached the motherboard's ports.

Last edited:

Kid Cali

Honorable
May 19, 2014
I tried with a ASUS P8H77-M with the 290x and everything works. Does anyone have thoughts on what could be wrong with the gigabyte motherboard, could it be a bios setting, etc?

Kid Cali

Honorable
May 19, 2014
Does system work without the video cards installed? If it does, then issue would be the power supply or PCIe slot if both cards are good in other systems.

I just tried using Linux again, I successfully installed the driver and was able to play a game which utilized the updated driver. Any thoughts on why driver installation doesn't work on windows?

Can't troubleshoot past what you tried without trying more different hardware to rule out issues with motherboard. Linux drivers won't use the card in the same way as Windows. Could still be a bad card or issue with the motherboard.

Solution

Kid Cali

Honorable
May 19, 2014

Definitely not a bad card (I use the r9 290x everday), both work in my ASUS & Asrock board with no issues. The driver was AMD's linux version of the driver, if that makes any difference.

I think it's a bios configuration or something to do with the motherboard. I just don't know what else to diagnose/troubleshoot.

What type of different hardware are you thinking? I tried 3 ram brands, 3 different cpus, a HDD and SSD, the power supply I tested with is the one I use everyday, both GPUs are good cards.

Definitely not a bad card (I use the r9 290x everday), both work in my ASUS & Asrock board with no issues. The driver was AMD's linux version of the driver, if that makes any difference.

I think it's a bios configuration or something to do with the motherboard. I just don't know what else to diagnose/troubleshoot.

What type of different hardware are you thinking? I tried 3 ram brands, 3 different cpus, a HDD and SSD, the power supply I tested with is the one I use everyday, both GPUs are good cards.

Different motherboard or different video card. Not too clear from the post if issue is only with the 290 card or with the nvidia also. Could be power supply also, not much else to try here. With different operating systems it's not a software issue since it happens with all version of Windows.

The video cards never worked in this motherboard and power supply combination correct?

Kid Cali

Honorable
May 19, 2014
Not too clear from the post if issue is only with the 290 card or with the nvidia also.
Yes, the board doesn't work with both cards.

The video cards never worked in this motherboard and power supply combination correct?
Yes

Could be power supply also

The power supply I'm using works on my P8H77-M. I may try with another power supply.

Ill try contact cleaner on the PCI E port, if that doesn't fix it, I may give the board away. Thank you for your time and help.

TRENDING THREADS