[SOLVED] Workstation Build Advice

May 12, 2020
Hi,

I'm currently trying to decide on the components for a new workstation (will never be used for gaming) build, and could use some advice, so if anyone could help out I'd very much appreciate it.

I use Autodesk AutoCAD, Inventor, and 3DS max, all of which essentially require the maximum single core performance (with the exception of rendering in 3DS Max). With that in mind, I'm thinking of going for a Ryzen 3600x. Would there be any noticeable benefit of upgrading to the 7 or 9 series? Because I really can't see how the extra cores or few hundred MHz would noticeably benefit me.

When it comes to the rendering, I use VRay Next GPU. I'm currently working with quite a lot of animation, and require some relatively good rendering performance (without breaking the bank). I'm looking at getting 2x RTX 2070 Super GPU's and installing them in SLI using NVLink, which would in theory give me 16GB of VRAM and 5120 CUDA cores. Would there be any bottlenecks associated with pairing this with a 3600x?

Finally, I'm a little concerned about the power supply requirements. I've used the outervision calculator, and come up with results of around 761 watts (including fans etc). To keep the build price down I've chosen an 850 watt PSU. Will this be sufficient for the setup or should I really be looking at 1000w+ models? I won't be rendering all day every day, however I'd say that the machine will be rendering continually for around 48 hours per week.

Please let me know your thoughts. Also, the core components of the build I'm currently thinking of is as follows;

CPU: Ryzen 3600x

Motherboard: Gigabyte AMD Ryzen X570 AORUS PRO

RAM: Team Group RIPPED Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C14 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit

GPU: 2x MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Super Ventus (NVLink/SLI)

SSD: Seagate FireCuda 520 500GB M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Power Supply: Corsair 850 Watt RM850x

Solution
... all of which essentially require the maximum single core performance (with the exception of rendering in 3DS Max). With that in mind, I'm thinking of going for a Ryzen 3600x. Would there be any noticeable benefit of upgrading to the 7 or 9 series? Because I really can't see how the extra cores or few hundred MHz would noticeably benefit me.
A R7 3800X is about 3% faster (single thread) than the 3600X for about 66% more money, so I'd say that the very little bit of extra bang isn't worth the money.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
... all of which essentially require the maximum single core performance (with the exception of rendering in 3DS Max). With that in mind, I'm thinking of going for a Ryzen 3600x. Would there be any noticeable benefit of upgrading to the 7 or 9 series? Because I really can't see how the extra cores or few hundred MHz would noticeably benefit me.
A R7 3800X is about 3% faster (single thread) than the 3600X for about 66% more money, so I'd say that the very little bit of extra bang isn't worth the money.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Solution