[SOLVED] Workstation for designing and 2D/3D works

Jun 14, 2020
Hi guys,

My old PC just got some serious hardware issues, so I am currently planning the new workstation setup and since you are an experts, I would like to kindly ask you for your opinions and suggestions about the following set:
  • ASUS PRIME TRX40-PRO (ATX, Socket sTRX4 / AMD TRX40, 8 x DIMM (max 256 GB), NVIDIA SLI / AMD CrossFireX)
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X (7nm, 24 cores (48 threads), 3.8GHz (4.5GHz turbo), DDR4 up to 3200MHz)
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4, set of 2, 16 GB each, 3200MHz, CL16) - x2 at the beginning (32GB in total)
  • nVidia QUADRO P4000 (PCI Express x16, 8GB GDDR5)
  • Thermaltake 3.0 Riig 360
  • Adata SX8200 Pro (512GB, NVMe, R3500/W2300 [MB/s]) - for OS + software
  • MSI Mpg Gungnir 100P
  • OCZ 600W - currently I have one free piece of this power adapter, but if it turns out to be too small I will replace it
  • Samsung SSD 860 EVO (512GB) - for projects I am currently working on
  • Seagate (1TB) - 2-3pcs for an archive files

I am using the computer for designing work (Mechatronics: Autocad, Inventor, Solidworks; Electronics: KiCad, Altium), graphics/animations 2D and 3D (3DS Max + V-Ray, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and video editing (mainly After Effects). As for the V-Ray plugin, I would like to use both advance and RT versions - depends on the project and application.

The PC will be mostly used locally. Only from time to time as a remote desktop using the NoMachine software (which by the way I highly recommend).

Would you add or change anything in the set above? After some time I will extend the RAM and add another GPU.

I have also heard opinions that it is better to buy some pre-built workstations (like for example Dell has in their offer) because it will work better than a custom built PC. Obviously, for the same money we get much weaker setup. What is your experience? I have never bought pre-built workstations and always assembled PCs by myself. Urban legend or a fact?

Best regards

Solution
Hi guys,

My old PC just got some serious hardware issues, so I am currently planning the new workstation setup and since you are an experts, I would like to kindly ask you for your opinions and suggestions about the following set:
  • ASUS PRIME TRX40-PRO (ATX, Socket sTRX4 / AMD TRX40, 8 x DIMM (max 256 GB), NVIDIA SLI / AMD CrossFireX)
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X (7nm, 24 cores (48 threads), 3.8GHz (4.5GHz turbo), DDR4 up to 3200MHz)
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4, set of 2, 16 GB each, 3200MHz, CL16) - x2 at the beginning (32GB in total)
  • MSI Mpg Gungnir 100P
  • OCZ 600W -...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys,

• MSI Mpg Gungnir 100P
  • OCZ 600W - currently I have one free piece of this power adapter, but if it turns out to be too small I will replace it
  • Samsung SSD 860 EVO (512GB) - for projects I am currently working on
  • Seagate (1TB) - 2-3pcs for an archive files
I am using the computer for designing work (Mechatronics: Autocad, Inventor, Solidworks; Electronics: KiCad, Altium), graphics/animations 2D and 3D (3DS Max + V-Ray, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and video editing (mainly After Effects). As for the V-Ray plugin, I would like to use both advance and RT versions - depends on the project and application.

The PC will be mostly used locally. Only from time to time as a remote desktop using the NoMachine software (which by the way I highly recommend).

Would you add or change anything in the set above? After some time I will extend the RAM and add another GPU.

I have also heard opinions that it is better to buy some pre-built workstations (like for example Dell has in their offer) because it will work better than a custom built PC. Obviously, for the same money we get much weaker setup. What is your experience? I have never bought pre-built workstations and always assembled PCs by myself. Urban legend or a fact?

Best regards
Quad channel memory is always safer to buy as a set. Not two 2x16GB but a single 4x16GB.

Solution