Question Workstation for video editing/encoding - AVX512

Nov 19, 2019
Hi everyone,

I've been looking at many threads & articles over the past two months in order to set up a powerful video encoding / editing workstation.

While I was mostly contemplating a Ryzen 9 or new Threadripper build, I eventually read that AMD lacked support for AVX-512 instructions, which are supported by the HEDT Intel CPU line up. These instructions have some action on floating points calculations, apparently.

My question is : seeing how benches show strong performances for AMD over Intel these days (price / perf), does it make sense to skip the % of encoding time improvements AVX-512 brings to the system, going AMD, or stick with Intel's computing capabilities. How impactful would these instructions be on actual render times, when comparing for example a Core X i7 9800X with a 3900X ?

If anyone has some experience in the video field, I'd be very glad to get more info on this. :) Thank you very much for your time!

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at many threads & articles over the past two months in order to set up a powerful video encoding / editing workstation.

While I was mostly contemplating a Ryzen 9 or new Threadripper build, I eventually read that AMD lacked support for AVX-512 instructions, which are supported by the HEDT Intel CPU line up. These instructions have some action on floating points calculations, apparently.

My question is : seeing how benches show strong performances for AMD over Intel these days (price / perf), does it make sense to skip the % of encoding time improvements AVX-512 brings to the system, going AMD, or stick with Intel's computing capabilities. How impactful would these instructions be on actual render times, when comparing for example a Core X i7 9800X with a 3900X ?

If anyone has some experience in the video field, I'd be very glad to get more info on this. :) Thank you very much for your time!
Depends on if the software you are using supports AVX-512 or not. If the software supports it then rendering time with an Intel AVX-512 enabled HEDT CPU will be about 2x faster than a Ryzen with the same number of cores using AVX2. Currently there isn't a lot of software that supports AVX-512 and if the software doesn't support it then rendering will typically be faster with the Ryzen.

Nov 19, 2019
Well, I thought this kind of instructions would be triggered whenever a specific task is requested, like rendering a X265 or H264 video, not depending on the software. I'm struggling finding info on AVX512 support on the softwares I use, but I'll keep looking out. Thanks for your reply!