"Workstation" & Gaming Computer?

KHansen

Reputable
Mar 7, 2016
I'm building a new computer for 4K video editing. But I also want It game a bit, I've only play when a new game comes out, and that is just 2-4 hours a day somethings none. And my monitor resolution is 3440x1440 100hz. So I know the GPU is the bottleneck in the last end. The problem is I'm split about AMD and Intel. I9 vs. Threadripper.

Solution
You should definitely get the Threadripper because you will the difference when you are video editing as it has a superior multi-threaded performance.

When you're gaming, you won't feel the difference between a Threadripper or an i9. At this point, both are so powerful that it won't make a difference, which ever one you pick for several years to come.

As for the GPU. I would recommend going for a Quadro so that you get a better experience when video editing and it will still provide a good performance when gaming if you get something like a Quadro P2000 or above. Or a Titan XP for that matter.
You should definitely get the Threadripper because you will the difference when you are video editing as it has a superior multi-threaded performance.

When you're gaming, you won't feel the difference between a Threadripper or an i9. At this point, both are so powerful that it won't make a difference, which ever one you pick for several years to come.

As for the GPU. I would recommend going for a Quadro so that you get a better experience when video editing and it will still provide a good performance when gaming if you get something like a Quadro P2000 or above. Or a Titan XP for that matter.

Solution
Forgot a little not though, Quadro's can get really expensive. And since planning on gaming as well. I think an Nvidia Titan XP would be a perfect fit here as it's still optimized for workstations but doesn't include all the expensive nice to haves that NVIDIA takes advantage off to sell Quadro's at a much higher prices as most "profesisonals" have a bigger budget to begin with.