Question Workstation GPU for gaming?

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
Ive notice that a top level NVidia Quadro GPU will cost 4x that of a 2080Ti. Why is that? I know those Quadros are workstation cards, but how are they any better than like a 2080Ti, especially at 4x the price? Will they be any better for gaming? I've heard they are better for video editing, but what justifies the 4x price point?? How well would a 2080Ti do for video editing vs a Quadro. What can a $5500 dollar Quadro do that a 2080Ti can't do??? Can a Quadro give better FPS than a 2080Ti?

Last edited:

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
Because they are built for a different purpose.

A new dump truck is $100,000
A new Mustang GT is $40,000

Which one is better?

The difference in price in those vehicles is all the manufacturing costs and the physical parts that go into it, not simply just its use. I been reading that a Quadro 8000 is just a 2080Ti with a few extra features, and that they literally use the same cores and same architecture, but oh wait "The Quadro is a workstation card". Is the word workstation really worth 4x the price or..... Is the price difference literally just its intended use... I mean.... theres gotta be more to it... no?????

USAFRet

Titan
And the parts are different between a workstation GPU and a gaming GPU.
Different chips, different tolerances, different everything.

If you need a workstation GPU because you are doing this for a living...rendering every day all day, for a paycheck...the extra cost of a Quadro is warranted.
If you can save 30 minutes a day, every day...it pays for itself.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
And the parts are different between a workstation GPU and a gaming GPU.
Different chips, different tolerances, different everything.

If you need a workstation GPU because you are doing this for a living...rendering every day all day, for a paycheck...the extra cost of a Quadro is warranted.
If you can save 30 minutes a day, every day...it pays for itself.

Ok. I see. Interesting. So would a $5000 Quadro 8000 perform any different than a 2080Ti in gaming? And I know it would perform better in video editing, but by how much? And is it only because it has 48GB of VRAM?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok. I see. Interesting. So would a $5000 Quadro 8000 perform any different than a 2080Ti in gaming? And I know it would perform better in video editing, but by how much? And is it only because it has 48GB of VRAM?
And that 48GB VRAM makes a LOT of difference if you are compiling frame sequences for Toy Story 5.

It will not give you better frame rate in GTA5.