Workstation PC upgrade to Gaming spec

Slksht

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Hi guys need some help!

My brother has moved to England and I now have his old self-build workstation and want to upgrade it and reuse any of the parts that are salvageable.

I don't know a lot about parts yet so I was hoping you guys could help me decide what needs to be upgraded and what parts I might use.

I'm looking to play all releases on around medium graphics so that's the spec I'm looking for to bear in mind.

Currently in the PC:

AMD Phenom II CPU (Am aware this needs to be changed! I was thinking AMD FX8320?)

3.25 GB of RAM, 2.81 GHz Dual channel (Have 4 memory slots)

MSI790 GX-G65 motherboard

On board graphics (ATI Radeon yadada)

596GB Western Digital Blue

Sony DVD RQ DRU-875s

So......

How am I fixed? Have a good monitor and speakers and an acceptable mouse and keyboard (I think). It's running XP which is a balls, so I'll probably need a windows license? (Unless anyone has one they wanna give me or any other suggestions haha)

Cheers!

that motherboard lists support for a maximum of a phenom ii (which you already have). to upgrade the cpu to what you suggested then you would need to upgrade the motherboard.
Supports AMD® PhenomTM II X4/ X3 and Athlon X4 /X3/ X2

3-4gb of ram is not very much. you should have more.

onboard graphics means that you would need to buy a gpu.

---

considering the state of parts...... and considering that you wanted to play ALL releases on medium i believe you would be better off with a new "budget build" over trying to salvage from this one.

you could salvage the dvd drive (but its old and newer drives are likely faster and hdd (though its small and likely out of warranty) and maybe the case (but it wont have usb3).

what is your budget?