Workstation Shootout: Nvidia Quadro 5000 Vs. ATI FirePro V8800

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
if amd put a little more work on their drivers (i.e crossfire and firepro performance)they would be the clear performance champion.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Once again the arguement regarding AMD Drivers is brought to the fore. But more than this, when AMD has a line of products that could be said to 'miss' they absolutely FAIL. nVidia on the otherhand seem to have learned their lesson well from the 5xxxFX series and can still produce products that can compete at least at some level, ie: GTX460. Although these are Workstation products, nVidia have a complete package with GPUs and Drivers that work from the off.

davefb

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
sort of interesting, but why is there no comparison to mainstream boards? There is a massive premium of cost here but nothing to be able to say 'hey boss, the onboard graphics we use really don't cut it any more, how about a quadro'.
(or have I sped-read past the reason why ;) )

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
"AMD's best approach would be to commit more resources to its driver team to rectify the situation."

Hence why I'm selling my HD5770 and getting a GTX460. Much as I like their hardware, ATI sucks balls on drivers...this card won't even shine on M&B and BF2 is a nightmare.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]L0tus[/nom]"AMD's best approach would be to commit more resources to its driver team to rectify the situation."Hence why I'm selling my HD5770 and getting a GTX460. Much as I like their hardware, ATI sucks balls on drivers...this card won't even shine on M&B and BF2 is a nightmare.[/citation]
Why do you even want to compare 2 different cards that have different price range ? At least in my country GTX460 costs almost twice as much as 5770. I wonder why nobody can force Nvidia or AMD to bring the workstation optimization found in Quadro - FirePRO drivers to normal cards ... we all know about the past Quadro mods from normal gaming cards ... most of the time all that differes between the 2 cards is amount of memory.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Why do you even want to compare 2 different cards that have different price range ? At least in my country GTX460 costs almost twice as much as 5770. I wonder why nobody can force Nvidia or AMD to bring the workstation optimization found in Quadro - FirePRO drivers to normal cards ... we all know about the past Quadro mods from normal gaming cards ... most of the time all that differes between the 2 cards is amount of memory.[/citation]

Because then Nvidia wouldn't have their Quadro lines would they?

It's mostly for money, they just change a product a bit and market it as a completely different thing, this rakes in more money, and i know you can turn GTX2** Series card's to Quatro's because iv'e turned my GTX285 into one before.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
It may be an older card, but I hate the Quardo FX3700 that's in my workstation. I can run Inventor and Solidworks far better at home with an HD4870. ...And if you say your paying for durability or service hours, I don't buy it. You could buy 8 "gaming" cards for the price of my Quadro.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]I really wish I knew what these numbers meant.For someone who doesn't do 3-D design these benchmarks are kinda confusing.[/citation]

what teh ehck you mean ? lol i'min school for gameart design work in 3ds max 2010 all teh time, and i still can;t make much sense of tom's benches here , are tehy mesuring in render time or what ?? who the f--- they get the scroes ect ect , i want to see actual render times , would i benfit at all , if i replaced my gaming card with one of these ? sorry toms but epic fail on this comparison this time , why on earth you show 3ds max render tiems for comercial card benches but not work station cards is beyond me. just makes no sense, especially sicne consumer graphic cards DO NOT make a damn difference in 3ds max because when you use a comercial vid card all renders are done on the cpu not the gpu.

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Maybe the ati cards just suck. Anyways fermi is designed for compute power is almost apples to oranges. This is no surprise to me knowing that fermi rapes g200 in folding.

geok1ng

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
"AMD's best approach would be to commit more resources to its driver team to rectify the situation."

A true statement if i ever heard one, since AMD merged ATI and fired lots of ATI personnel.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Why do you even want to compare 2 different cards that have different price range ? At least in my country GTX460 costs almost twice as much as 5770. I wonder why nobody can force Nvidia or AMD to bring the workstation optimization found in Quadro - FirePRO drivers to normal cards ... we all know about the past Quadro mods from normal gaming cards ... most of the time all that differes between the 2 cards is amount of memory.[/citation]

You know that a driver will not write itself? There are some hardware difference between the 2 cards, 90%+ is the same. Considering the market size for these products they still have to make a profit while dumping money in the driver R&D.

BTW: ATI drivers, LOL. Oooops, I meant AMD drivers!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Now please make an article comparing a cheaper firegl/quadro fx/nv card to a mainstream gaming card.
Due to a 600-1000% price difference between a gaming and enterprise model, we've almost always stuck with mainstream cards.
A geforce 9600gt seems much faster than a quadro nv240 (same retail price) even in 3ds max and inventor although it isn't certified.

btw noise levels and power draw would be of interest in the workstation benchmarks too. We've got roughly 50 computers in one room with designers. Noise is a concern for them.

I wonder if the FirePro performs much better than a standard 5870 since its obvious its drivers arent giving it a big boost when compared to the previous generation card it should have a massive lead, it seems like its bruteforcing its way through, if so a 5870 could do the same just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.