Workstation Video Card question

computernoob_10

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
This is regards to a workstation video card and motherboard compatibility.

I am building a computer to use 3d rendering software like Maya and XSI.

Does it make sense use a non-workstation motherboard with a workstation video card? This is not professional work but more like a beginner artist just starting out with these softwares.

The motherboard is an x58 board:

GA-EX58-UD4P 1366 ATX Mobo

The video card is an:
ATI 100-505505 FireGL V7700 512MB PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card

The only requirement on the card is a PCI express slot.

A lotta people are using gaming vid cards, but from several reviews, it seems wiser to go with a workstation vid card for 3d applications.

I looked around the forums and I couldn't really find an answer to the question I am asking

Appreciate the help and thanks for reading.

eaclou

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
suggest buying a gaming card first, trying it out with your particular software, and returning it if you get too many viewport bugs.

workstation cards are priced terribly, and if you aren't going to be stressing the computer as much as a professional studio, i'm willing to bet the gaming card will handle your needs perfectly well.

computernoob_10

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
grrr. back to step 1 lol. Hm....I was reading some reviews on newegg and they were saying they couldn't tell the difference performance wise between gaming and workstation card, but i guess this is somewhat varying due to what software one is using. What to do, what to do. Thank you for the feedback.

TRENDING THREADS