World of Warcraft 1900x1200

xfxnewguy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I'm currently running wow at 1900x1200 and want to get a increase of frames, because i am running a q6700 qaud core 2 8800 gt alpha dogs 512mb and a evga 750 i ftw with ocz pc6400 ddr 2 8gbs .I want to know what i can do to get an increase in frames? I've heard of drivers i can get that can be better,getting a smaller moniter,overclocking my gpu,and cpu and ram and other things. I didnt know wow was gonna ever be this demanding for such a high resolution :( back in the day i had a celeron D 2.53 and 6200 and ran at very good settings. Would upgrading the gpu be better? I've been looking at some of the gtx 275 285 and 295 would one of these outperform my current gpu setup? Any advice on upgrading? I want to run on max settings.

jennyh

Splendid
I downloaded the WoW trial on my Q6600 and 4870 setup, it was a really bizarre experience. My friend was having issues with her WoW so I was helping to see if it was a Catalyst 9.7 issue or not (it's not).

Anyway, I could not get better than 39fps in Stormwind no matter what level of graphics I had the game at. There is something wrong with the WoW coding, that's all I can think of. My friend's 4870 x2 were getting similar low fps but only running at 1% utilisation.

xfxnewguy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008

Thanks for the advice now i will decide Ati maybe :) I've built a couple computers and the first one i bought before i started to build had an ati card in it.I dont believe in the masses though Nvidia and Ati is a hard decision its like Amd and Intel.Ive been reading alot of magazines and forums ive decided my next build will prolly be a Amd one. I started Nvidia with a 7600 GT wich was good when i had my first build then upgraded to a 8500 GT,then finally i upgraded to 2 8800GTs last year or so and currently think Ati might be the good choice. Any ideas on wich gpu will handle Wow at max settings? Will the 4870 1gb handle it at Ultra settings on 1900x1200 resolution?

Due to the benchmarks from the above link I posted (although the 4870 isn't in the benchmarks), i'd be more inclined to spend an extra $20 or so and get a GTX260 216.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150329
Your power supply is fine for any GPU.

I just saw your reference to the "Ultra" settings. A friend of mine with a i7 920 OC to 3.8 GHz and a GTX275 doesn't get max framerates when he uses the Ultra setting.

xfxnewguy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008

I see that but cost and performance wise what about the 4890 is it better than the 4870 i also looked up some other cards the 4870x2 and is the GTX260 worth the price in to comparison to ATI will i be paying an extra 20$ for 5 more fps or is the difference big?

xfxnewguy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008

Is Wow that demanding for Ultra settings? Max framerates? What resolution is he running it on that sounds pretty nuts!!!!!? Before Lich King my setup slaughtered Wow and i got 200 some fps easy but now im getting gutted in Dalaran with a measly 14 fps on ultra settings. Im almost tempted to build a whole new pc just to play i love Wow.

xfxnewguy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I here its bad coding thanks still not sure wether i should upgrade or not but the 1900x1200 is all i can play on and maybe i will turn the shadows down a notch i just want a card that can handle wow better than my 2 xfx alpha dog 8800 GT 512mb in sli so i can be happy!

He's at 1920x1080 (24") When he uses "custom" settings with everything maxed except shadow effects he's at 60fps everywhere except Dalaran when it's crowded and Wintergrasp. The article mentions server density and the problems of online gaming which is why you hardly ever see any benchmarks for MMORPGs. Blizz has continued to change WoWs graphics over time and some of their coding is still a bit buggy.

If you log into WoW you can see that they're collecting system information from anyone logging in. I don't know if it's for future patches/expansions or if they're gathering user system information for Diablo3 Starcraft2 reasons.

xfxnewguy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Yeah im running 8800GT in sli,i also tried what they said on the forum and noticed a big increase in Fps! with shadow down all the way i get 24-54 fps depending on whats going on being 24 fps was lowest with the shadow up just 1 notch i get about 20-40 fps wich isnt too bad i guess for dalaran In ironforge i was managing 80-100 fps on ultra settings with shadow up one notch maybe i should go check the forum about sli thanks ct1615!

xfxnewguy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Yeah i dont think it is my life just something to do when im bored basically i got a caring gf and friends who i never see cuz they are whipped but basically nothing to do in this town i live in since they banned skateboarding but play games oh yeah and my job sucks LoL nonetheless i am addicted i would say i play alot on my days off

xfxnewguy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Anyone Know if any of the modded drivers would work better with wow tho i diasbled sli and seem to get better gameplay and less frames when sli is enabled sometimes i see flickering on my screen

Looks like a driver issue to me, i have a neighbor that has dual 8800GT's and a 750i mobo (Q6600), he had similar issues and formated (clean OS install).... Downloaded the latest Omega drivers and he is gettin 100+ frames ATM in WoW.....Hope this helps.... [:jaydeejohn:5]

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
You should check out Warhammer. :) Much more fun/harder than WoW if you ask me. Less kids raving about chuck norris and stupid crap like that. Orvr non-instanced forts and objectives, public quests, its a wonderful game. Doesn't look like a cartoon either. *shrug

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
XFXnewguy, have a look at the benches that were posted above, Nvidea trounces ATI with nearly double the frame rates, the GTX260 is your best bet for good frames in WOW.

And no Im not saying Nvidea is the superior card you ATI Fanboi hippies, its just obvious Nvidea's drivers are better optimized for this particular game.

xfxnewguy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Thanks for all the help i will try what OvrClkr said and try the latest omega drivers after a clean install question is what should i do a clean install of i currently dual boot xp pro 64 and windows 7 rc1 64 bit but i have windows vista home premium 64 bit should i install it is service pack 2 help better any?