World of Warcraft graphics vs. other mmorpg's

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which do you think has the best graphics?

• World of Warcraft

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Guild Wars

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Lineage 2

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Archlord

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I havent played any of the other games.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • They all suck.

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jroussin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

I love WoW because of the vivid colors they use and the cartoon feel. It just makes the game more fun imo. By doing so I think they are able to come up with better and more wicked looking armor sets and it allows more people to play the game on less hardware.

Compared to AoC where you needed a beefy system to run it and I did not like the way the gear you obtained looked. It seemed like I was wearing the same garbage gear that I was wearing when I was from level 1-20. Everyone looked the same too.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

Oddly enough I will do both :D

I happily play games I enjoyed from the 80's stillfor their gameplay, elite for a start the ZX Spectrum version :D, space invaders even occaisionally, paper boy recently :D. Ive just started replaying a game from 92 as well, obviously the graphics are "poor" but the gameplay is great :D

I brought Oblivion when that came out purely for the graphics, as it turned out that had great gameplay a well, I brought crysis purely to see the "state of the art" in terms of graphics, to see what the much hyped dx 10 card features of my card at the time (8800gtx) could actually do :lol: its "fair" gameplay, I dont like FPS's as a rule, but Crysis at least allowed some strategic variety. Still not a game I would have touched with a barge pole for pure gameplay.

Ive never played Guildwars Ive played WoW a bit, The most impressive thing about WoW is the range of hardware it will run on, Im pretty certain an abacus could handle wow at low settings :D.

OmGgetoverIT

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Most likely nobody who voted has played every game in the poll, they just voted for the one that they play the most, look at some comparisons, I play Lineage 2 a lot, tell me that doesn't have the best graphics out of the other ones listed.

G

Hi there, thanks for the report. I am new to WOW. I was expecting something WOW when I purchased the game, mmmmm how let down I am, The graphics are very very poor. I expected the graphics to look mor like Fire Fly In 3dmark 05 instead they look worse than Crash Bandicoot. I do not know why this Is as the game makes over 11 Million British Pounds every month. I don't think they will be getting any more of my hard erned cash untill they get It together....Oh and just for the book, Its nothing to do with my rig as I get 80fps In game.

XFX 3 WAY SLI MO BO
4GIG CORSAIR DOMINATOR DDR2 8500
INTEL CORE 2 QUAD 2.4MZ
2X XFX GTX 260 XXX IN SLI
3X500 GB HD'S
HIYPER 850 WATT

Thanks...Paul

lost2199

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
well at first I played Lotro with graphics maxed and thought it was pretty good and after over a year of playing I thought about switching over to WOW because some of my friends played it, so I bought the whole game all expansions everything and began playing and man did the graphics SUCK even when they were cranked to the max the smoothness of the curves, edges and countless other details just sucked

ill put it this way its like starting on Meth and then turning to salvia (the hallucinogenic drug) it just could not compare though i did like the high player count and some parts were fun it just didn't work for me

I currently am playing Lotro and with DX10 graphics maxed and luvin it

cs_kimmo

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
WoW's graphics are far from cartoony. Nobody, repeat, nobody draws 2 polygon trees and sharp triangles as leaves in em and nobody draws characters that consist of 3-4 polygons to cartoons. Nobody draws things in cartoons like textures are in WoW, which just plain suck. If WoW would be made into a cartoon, everyone would be asking themselves "who draws this ***", perfect example being Hani and Tiny WoW web comic, which isn't unfortunately drawn. Blizz is just too lazy and scared of losing all their customers playing with 20 years old IBM PCs, excluding me :D

The day WoW gets even minor graphics update and lifts its head from the shittiness of Warcraft 3's graphics engine, I'll shizz my trousers and scream "hallelujah" :sarcastic:

G

Is there a game like wow like wive lvling dk's weapons armor mounts etc... and is for free and the download not soo high can someone help

worldnick

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I have to chime in here. I have been testing different MMORPGs and I am severely disappointed in games like Atlantica Online. It looks SOO FLATTTTT!!!! DO YOU KNOW WHY??? It is because they take huge textures and map them onto models with low polygons, the seems are visible, and they don't really take up the proper amount of space! The real world has dimension, like a cartoon and WoW picks up on that. You don't have to have great textures if you understand how to draw like an artist. This japanese anime crap does not look good in MMORPGS and never will. It is like looking at a cat where all the hair is flattened out and stuck to the skin. It doesn't work. WoW is great because they know they can't make every polygon that exists in the world, but they make models that fill space to make up for it. I like to call it the element of DIMENSION. That is what every other MMORPG lacks. They also know how to use color and shading to hide seems and creat interesting visuals. One last thing is that the most important model you can texture is the ground and WoW has the BEST ground textures with shine and detail and seemlessness that no other MMORPG can approach. All that said I like the way Warhammer looked at well. Stay away from flat please. I'm Nick signing off.

BeefBravo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I play WoW and when running in ultra settings with x8 multisampling I think it looks great. I don't see where the complaints are. Like others have said, WoW has been designed to be played by the masses. WoW has so much to offer that in my opinion other games don't offer. I was considering trying GW, but when I compaired the graphics and gameplay difference - 1: I didn't see that big a difference in the graphics between the 2 games; 2: I think that WoW's more free roaming and socialy interactive. Honestly, for such a free roaming, socially advanced game with a pretty good in game economy, I am amazed at the graphics quality {at ultra settings}.

Status
Not open for further replies.