World of Warcraft Lost Over 1 Million Subscribers This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

LOL since D3 is yet far from ready, the revenue finally falls in the fourth quarter.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I have never played WOW, cause these games are addictive and consume your social life.
Same reason i quit playing multiplayer. It turns you into zombie, especially if you're a kid or a teen.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]I have never played WOW, cause these games are addictive and consume your social life.Same reason i quit playing multiplayer. It turns you into zombie, especially if you're a kid or a teen.[/citation]

Self control perhaps?

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
I doubt they will go free to play till the subscribers drop to at least half of what they are now. $15 a month for 10 mill subs is a large chunk of money to just drop outright, and I doubt they will make it back in microtransactions. The thing I don't think Bliz really understands is that WoW is just old. I have fond memories of the game, but the time has come to just move on.

legacy-za

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]I have never played WOW, cause these games are addictive and consume your social life.Same reason i quit playing multiplayer. It turns you into zombie, especially if you're a kid or a teen.[/citation]

Personality, I think, that it differs from person to person, it does not necessarily mean that it will happen to every gamer out there. :)

Auroram

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
A picture of Kung Fu Panda and making fun of the whole concept... really, Kevin?
You wrote an informative, neutral article. Why did you chose to end it with such an out of place comparison? If people would want to see cheesy anecdotes of which trolling teens can think of, they'd read MMO Champion or Joystiq...

Anyways, you might want to mention that the loss of subs is seen primarily in China at this time. The country is always terribly far behind regarding updates in content, as was seen in the previous expansion's release, Wrath of the Lich King. They didn't get that until 28 months had passed since the rest of the world started playing it. Cata was less delayed at "only" 7 months. Let's hope that MoP won't take as long, or Blizzard will slack on updates again until the China release.

Ah well, why do I care. Stopped playing ages ago! :D

sporx

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
"Ok guys we need to get some gear to be geared enough to get more gear. Once we have that gear we will be geared enough to get the next tier of gear which will give us enough gear to beat the last boss and get his gear. "

Why would anyone stop playing a game like that ?

cmcghee358

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Auroram[/nom]A picture of Kung Fu Panda and making fun of the whole concept... really, Kevin?You wrote an informative, neutral article. Why did you chose to end it with such an out of place comparison? If people would want to see cheesy anecdotes of which trolling teens can think of, they'd read MMO Champion or Joystiq...Anyways, you might want to mention that the loss of subs is seen primarily in China at this time. The country is always terribly far behind regarding updates in content, as was seen in the previous expansion's release, Wrath of the Lich King. They didn't get that until 28 months had passed since the rest of the world started playing it. Cata was less delayed at "only" 7 months. Let's hope that MoP won't take as long, or Blizzard will slack on updates again until the China release.Ah well, why do I care. Stopped playing ages ago![/citation]

He mentioned the loss of subs came from the East. Also they ARE MARTIAL ART PANDAS. Stafoo.

Auroram

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
[citation][nom]cmcghee358[/nom]He mentioned the loss of subs came from the East. Also they ARE MARTIAL ART PANDAS. Stafoo.[/citation]

So the East = China now? Heh, last time I checked there were quite a few countries over there.

As for martial arts pandas... the pure martial arts damage role of the monk only takes up a third of the class' gameplay. You might as well compare a soldier to a terrorist then, because they both shoot things with the same kind of weapons. It makes no sense.

And then I haven't even mentioned the expansive storyline behind the race and class yet, which makes KFP look like a story written by a child. Really, the only comparison that can be made are the looks, and even that is misleading.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
This happens when a company gets over confident, they get lax and don't bother to serve their customers (NOTE i only speak about wow now!). The lack of content is stunning considering if they only took 1$/month per subscriber and put that to content the game would have new content atleast monthly. Today its the same raid/instance over, over, over and over - Its dull and booring! Doing the same boring thing over and over is more like a second work than entertainment!

And on a more personal oppinion i think wow have became TOO mainstream and streamlined, anyone can play and do it alright - No real skills are needed anymore and whats the challenge then? Heck even the basic stuff like talents will be even further stupidified with the next expansion!

cmcghee358

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Auroram[/nom]So the East = China now? Heh, last time I checked there were quite a few countries over there.As for martial arts pandas... the pure martial arts damage role of the monk only takes up a third of the class' gameplay. You might as well compare a soldier to a terrorist then, because they both shoot things with the same kind of weapons. It makes no sense.And then I haven't even mentioned the expansive storyline behind the race and class yet, which makes KFP look like a story written by a child. Really, the only comparison that can be made are the looks, and even that is misleading.[/citation]

I know sometimes it doesn't come right out and SAY IT, but how about:

According to Morhaime, the biggest drop in subscriptions is taking place over in the East. However he also said the game is still one of the most popular titles in China

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]Auroram[/nom]So the East = China now? Heh, last time I checked there were quite a few countries over there.As for martial arts pandas... the pure martial arts damage role of the monk only takes up a third of the class' gameplay. You might as well compare a soldier to a terrorist then, because they both shoot things with the same kind of weapons. It makes no sense.And then I haven't even mentioned the expansive storyline behind the race and class yet, which makes KFP look like a story written by a child. Really, the only comparison that can be made are the looks, and even that is misleading.[/citation]

Th story is basically it was abit misty so we couldn't see them. Then it cleared up and now we can so they come out to play. I see what you mean now... stephen king must have come up with that story line it's that good!

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
If ur anti-social like me, WoW is a god send. The only downside is the requirement to interact with other people mostly during raids and being buddies with guild mates... I hate that...

The 4.3 patch will supposedly bring in the random raid finder... Finally, now I can raid without having to talk to a soul, you just go in, destroy everything and get out with the loot... =D

Auroram

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]Th story is basically it was abit misty so we couldn't see them. Then it cleared up and now we can so they come out to play. I see what you mean now... stephen king must have come up with that story line it's that good![/citation]

Oh sorry, I must've known that the community over here doesn't do it's research on a subject before modding a comment. Pathetic.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Pandaren

Yeah, a misty island with rip offs from Kung Fu Panda. Sure.
In the RPG and books, they have about an equal amount of story pages and background information to them as the other races, such as the Trolls and Night Elves, which have been in the game since it's development started over a decade ago. Note that the main story of most things in WoW aren't actually in the game, but in various books and RPG's.

Simply because few people have done research about the story, doesn't mean that it isn't there for those who actually care, as opposed to those who simply try to be popular through bashing a subject and going along with the tone the author of an article has set.

Seriously, don't comment on something you don't know a thing about. Please. I'd have expected better from this site.

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
did anyone else look for diablo 3 on walmart.com and see that it says pre orders will ship on 02/07/2012?? is that the release date!?

Jargon

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Oh sorry, I must've known that the community over here doesn't do it's research on a subject before modding a comment. Pathetic.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Pandaren

Yeah, a misty island with rip offs from Kung Fu Panda. Sure.
In the RPG and books, they have about an equal amount of story pages and background information to them as the other races, such as the Trolls and Night Elves, which have been in the game since it's development started over a decade ago. Note that the main story of most things in WoW aren't actually in the game, but in various books and RPG's.

Simply because few people have done research about the story, doesn't mean that it isn't there for those who actually care, as opposed to those who simply try to be popular through bashing a subject and going along with the tone the author of an article has set.

Seriously, don't comment on something you don't know a thing about. Please. I'd have expected better from this site

Calm down it is just a game and pandas are stupid

G

It's all the Chinese gold farmers/hacker accounts. They are finally starting to realize that there is no money to be made in the gold selling market anymore. Which means.... There is a chance in the near future that Auction Houses will have much more reasonable prices, yay!!

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Seriously....

WOW in. Hardware requirements:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

386DX/40 Computer (486DX2/66 strongly recommended)
2 meg of free memory (A 4 meg machine is recommended)
7.1 meg of Hard Drive Space (for shareware)
15.8 meg of Hard Drive Space (for registered)

OPTIONALLY SUPPORTED

Mouse
Joysticks
Thrustmaster
Gravis Gamepad
Adlib
Sound Blaster
Sound Blaster Pro
Sound Blaster 16
Sound Blaster AWE32
Wave Blaster
Pro Audio Spectrum 16
Gravis UltraSound
Roland Sound Canvas
Any General MIDI Device

Its really time for WOW to grow up, I haven't played games that require that much hardware in like 15 years?

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]Self control perhaps?[/citation]I have never played Wow nut I get the impression that it is the kind of a game that you have to spend *a lot* of time to build your character and gain levels. You probably start up very small with a strong sense of feeling "incomplete" and inadequate that indoctrinates you to get even more and more. If you choose to join a mission that could last for several hours you can't just leave it without paying a considerable penalty.

This game is utilizing all powers possible to capitalize you time. That's why we have people such as the one who totally demolished his computer after his gf erased his account, a couple left their baby unattended a whole f*ing day because they were sitting in an internet café WoWing, a Korean guy spent a total of 60 friggin' hours non-stop without eating, drinking or sleeping - his gameplay session ended abruptly with a fatal heart failure, a mother was killed with a knife because she confiscated her son's computer after spending too much time WoWing, there was this boy who decided to end a dispute on WoW in real life by going to his friends house with a kitchen knife and stab the poor guy to death.

So let's end all this blasphemy and wickedness by banning all MMORPG and shutting down all WoW servers altogether! Whip hard all those spoiled kids' bony white a*es and put them back to school already so they start to actually _learn_ something!

Status
Not open for further replies.