World of Warcraft Shown Streamed to iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

grillz9909

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]t-vizz the 2nd[/nom]That's screwed up, no one should subject themselves to truly 24/7 wow[/citation]

...They are only demonstrating WoW because of the huge following. If you read the article it tells you that they are not trying just WoW, they are going to try every genre of game.

banthracis

Distinguished
How exactly would one control wow using an ipad?

There is a reason WOW is a keyboard and mouse game, and one which hardcore players utilize most of the keys on a keyboard and mouse.

Niktavalos

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
This would be an acceptable way to work the auction house, or simple quests. I don't think anyone will try to use it for real combat.

ncr7002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
No way, the iPad couldn't possibly push WoW at playable framerates, if it can push it at all, not unless a specific version is developed as a native app for it, and I'm not sure about that either.

And before someone says so, showing a single lvl 1 char standing on an empty road to Goldshire is Not playing WoW, any serious hardware running the game needs to push at least 25 fps on a current 25-man raid all the time, otherwise you can't call it *playable*.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
How are you going to play an MMO with so many buttons required in that game? Gonna spend more time panning the damn camera than raiding.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Akhem, where's the gameplay video ?

What ?

There isn't any ?

And I almost thought that it was NOT fake, 'cause the ipad could run a port of this game actually.

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
even though right now there is the latency issue, it is awesome to be able to take the amazing power of my desktop and put it on something portable i can take all over my house like the tablet.

mavroxur

Distinguished
I bet the interface latency is absolutely horrible. The time it would take to compress the video stream, send it, recieve it, and decode it, would be bad. And what's the point? WoW takes enough buttons and hotkeys to play as it is. Touchscreen interface with no mouse and keyboard would be awkward as hell.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]ncr7002[/nom]No way, the iPad couldn't possibly push WoW at playable framerates, if it can push it at all, not unless a specific version is developed as a native app for it, and I'm not sure about that either. And before someone says so, showing a single lvl 1 char standing on an empty road to Goldshire is Not playing WoW, any serious hardware running the game needs to push at least 25 fps on a current 25-man raid all the time, otherwise you can't call it *playable*.[/citation]
What part of "streaming" don't you understand?

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]t-vizz the 2nd[/nom]That's screwed up, no one should subject themselves to truly 24/7 wow[/citation]

True, but the hardcore addicts who do play 24/7 already now have the option of at least being part of the real world and might actually be able to maintain a job...

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]I bet the interface latency is absolutely horrible. The time it would take to compress the video stream, send it, recieve it, and decode it, would be bad. And what's the point? WoW takes enough buttons and hotkeys to play as it is. Touchscreen interface with no mouse and keyboard would be awkward as hell.[/citation]
Bluetooth keyboard would obviously be the way to go here, but it would be unweildy as you'd still have to touch the screen.

An interface would have to be made to handle this, somehow replacing hotkeys and maybe using the accelerometer for movement.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Godfail[/nom]Bluetooth keyboard would obviously be the way to go here, but it would be unweildy as you'd still have to touch the screen.An interface would have to be made to handle this, somehow replacing hotkeys and maybe using the accelerometer for movement.[/citation]
Yes I will cary a keyboard with me when go take a dump and then wipe myself with it..

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]ncr7002[/nom]No way, the iPad couldn't possibly push WoW at playable framerates, if it can push it at all, not unless a specific version is developed as a native app for it, and I'm not sure about that either. And before someone says so, showing a single lvl 1 char standing on an empty road to Goldshire is Not playing WoW, any serious hardware running the game needs to push at least 25 fps on a current 25-man raid all the time, otherwise you can't call it *playable*.[/citation]

Its not running WoW, its streaming video of WoW running on their servers.

This would be awesome if you mounted the iPad on a stand and had a keyboard and mouse (i.e. a laptop w/ mouse). To me, this tech could be useful streaming to a laptop. If it can run the latest games at low latency, this could allow even midrange laptops to game.

G

Prove to the world that you have no life, live in your mother's basement, never had sex with anyone other than palmala handerson- there's an app for that.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]is that playing WoW or just watching?[/citation]

I don't think you could play it very well with a touch screen and no keyboard. There isn't even an onscreen keyboard shown.

G

I cant see how it would be actually fun playing an MMO on an Ipad. The control scheme sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.