World's Fastest Internet Arrives in Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
When I read this in America, I'm like UGH! I wish we had that. When people in Tokyo read this, they are like WTF? 50/month for internet? Too much!

Any caps on it? I could care less about the speed, companies are getting silly with speeds that no one can use, especially when they cap it. 150mb/s? Who cares when they cap you at 250GB a month. You can burn through the 250GB in a day or so at 150mb/s. I'm in Canada and pay through the ass for a business connection that is truely unlimited. No slowdowns, no throttling, can do 2TB a month if I want, but it costs big time.

[strike]Never heard (or seen) of a cap in the downloadable data with wired connections.[/strike]
edit: I didn't know that some US ISPs have (soft)caps...
Wireless is an other story...

It seems that Japan and especially Tokyo is moving forward really fast.
First they announced that with their new 650m broadcast tower they will be able to broadcast 4K video (3840x2160) by the end of 2014 and 8K (7680x4320) in 2016.
And now this...

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

Comcast caps your internet usage. 250 gb.

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
This is what happens when the population is more dense; you don't have to lay nearly as much physical infrastructure, and it's far cheaper. In Tokyo, they can lay a mile of fiber and reach a thousand customers; in the US, you'd have to lay at least a mile per customer in many areas.

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Memnarchon

Pretty much all of the Big Cable Internet providers have Caps now. Most people don't know about them because they never get close to the limits so they never receive a later.
I have Charter and they initiated softcaps i think two years ago. Basically they changed the EULA but really didnt tell anybody but the people that where going over or within 10-15% of reaching the new caps.

I ended up having to switch to Charter Business because although I don't download alot. I do Video Editing of Raw 1080p video and the files or huge. I do most of my editing in house but post processing effects I have someone else do. So I put them on my server and they will later download from my server the huge files. Alot of time in access of 25GB for one file. Before I switched to Charter Business I didnt have a server and we would use this program to transfer this huge files. I was hitting 500GB Upload in about 2 weeks.

They told me I had to switch or leave them only option. I only download about 30GB but my uploads Exceed 1TB each month.

Check your Cable Internet Providers EULA they most likely have a Cap
Here is a nice link that list most of the companies that have sometime of Cap

http://gigaom.com/2012/10/01/data-caps-chart/ (The Big Companies are WIRED)

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
good for them, the rest of the world needs to catch up, here in tallahassee fl we are ahead of the curve with basic cable modems through comcast getting 30+ Mbs but compared to alot of places even tha tis pretty low. I doubt if even streaming videos i hit anywhere near 100 gigs a month bt have never seen anythign in my contracts about a limit... but i have never looked that hard at it

G

Cox has a soft cap too. I got a letter warning me to watch the excessive usage or they'd switch me to a more expensive plan.

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
This is kinda funny seeing that internet connection speeds are now faster than my LAN speeds. And I have all gigabit switches in place. I'd have to do link aggregation & NIC teaming to take advantage of that kind of speed. Things have come a long way since dial-up!

Sorry but that 250GB cap been gone since May of last year for comcast customers.

I only know this (even though I dont like them) is because they're the only 1 of 2 ISP's in my area. The other being a DSL provider called Frontier. Sadly it was the pick of which one was the less evil of the 2 with comcast being less evil.

Frontier from looking at there history that i've looked into, Just a few short years ago (like only 2 or 3 years ago) had data plans that cap at 5GB. Yes, you read right. Five GB data plan for land-line internet.......

josmala

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006

The population density argument is bullshit in some states. I'm from Finland and we have better and cheaper internet and full cell coverage, so there shouldn't be any technical problems for getting it in states that have higher population density than Finland such as Colorado. You have 80% urbanization rate which results that 80% of US population should get real high speed internet unless someone has screwed it up. As for last 20% they should get basic mobile service, and "US goverment defined high speed internet" over copper.

skyviper80

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
When I lived in Japan I had fiber internet, we lived in what was considered a rural community. It was $80 for a 40mb/s connection with no caps. I truly miss those days.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
@NeoG2: Cheers for that link & heads-up, I wasn't aware of this data-cap nonsense. TWC recently acquired my local ISP (InsightBB), and it's good to know that it won't negatively affect me (on the data cap front, at least).

This is my jealous face -> ಠ_ಠ
Seriously though, there's a big difference between having connections like this in America and Japan.
Japan is very cramped and small relative to places in America, thus easier to deploy.
America is certainly behind on technology advances like this though, I count myself lucky with FiOS and no bandwidth caps on a fiber connection.
Having 2 Gbps would be great, but most TVS are only 1920x1080p anyway and unless you're illegally downloading files, most people don't need anything faster than FiOS right now or an equivalent.

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
This is kinda funny seeing that internet connection speeds are now faster than my LAN speeds. And I have all gigabit switches in place. I'd have to do link aggregation & NIC teaming to take advantage of that kind of speed. Things have come a long way since dial-up!

Seriously, I didn't know about US ISPs that some of them have (soft)cap. Dam this sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.