News World's first chip-based 3D printer is smaller than a coin — benefits from having no moving parts

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
If a criminal wants in your house doors lock is the least of your worries as they can easily just bust a window.

Most digital doorlocks are poorly done you might as well have a cheap physical lock & save some $.
Big problem in western countries, doors windows are all glass. Less of an issue in Asian countries and India though. Everything is concrete, only way is to break a lock or the wooden door as even the windows have thick grills. Forget thieves even wild animals can just walk in through the glass.

Reactions: usertests

adunlucas

Prominent
Nov 5, 2022
Concrete windows, eh? I'd like to see that.
He meant the house os buit in concrete. In most south América countries houses are built with bricks and cement. Windows are iron or wood (hardwood, not softwood), or maybe glass but with iron bars. Is not uncommon houses being invades even trough the ceiling when possível, só house buit with drywall are note common. O myself live in a house with 15cm walls built with bricks and cement, the Doors and Windows are iron. And i live in a safe neighbourhood. It's because is a common and cheap material.

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
I've learned a lot from this news article, and from this thread of comments. I didn't know you could "3D scan broken bones in an operating theatre, I thought you'd need an x-ray or CT machine for that.
Also I didn't know you can make windows out of concrete, iron or wood.
No one is talking about the need to wash and cure resin prints after they are actually printed, does this miniature printer somehow not need those steps, or has it been ignored for convenience? The news headline is a lot less impressive if you need extra bits in addition to the coin-sized printer itself, like a resin vat, means of washing and curing etc. But I guess you could use water-washable resin and let it cure in sunlight.

Evildead_666

Great
Jul 21, 2023
This picture on a coin also doesnt seem to show the steerable tiny light source either.
It also looks like it can only print tiny things....
Im having a hard time visualizing the whole 'printer'
This just looks like the printable material....