World's First Imprintable and Bendable Li-ion Battery Created

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ghostie[/nom]I think Boeing might need some of these...[/citation]

Some laptops and smartphones also need those. Nobody likes burning silicon in their pockets or on their lap.

[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]The lawyers at Apple are iDrooling on this one >_>[/citation]
"Because the new battery uses flexible but solid materials, and not liquids, it can be expected to show a much higher level of stability than conventional rechargeable batteries."

Apple: Yet another reason to glue batteries to the case!

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]The lawyers at Apple are iDrooling on this one >_>[/citation]

They can't patent the technology itself, but they'll patent using it in a smartphone, tablet, or laptop.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]chainsaw667[/nom]the case is the battery[/citation]

Scratching the case soon has an entirely new meaning...

"My laptop won't work if it's unplugged!"

lp231

Splendid
They're probably scrambling to find that patent buried in the mountains of other patents. Sadly, what they don't know is, Apple never had one. But with so many, they got to have it, it's in there some where. And so the desperate search continues...

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ok... here is the million dollar questionwhat is the puropse of this outside of we can do it?[/citation]

means you can fill any empty space in the device with a battery extension ...

the main problem of the batteries is that they must have rectangular fixed place empty ...

now you can "squeeze them where ever u want ... and make the Battery itself into shapes and different thicknesses

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sna[/nom]means you can fill any empty space in the device with a battery extension ...the main problem of the batteries is that they must have rectangular fixed place empty ...now you can "squeeze them where ever u want ... and make the Battery itself into shapes and different thicknesses[/citation]
the bigger problem is they put a good enough battery in the devices, and try to make them thinner. sure, devices use less power now, but they are also thinner and get lesser and lesser batteries.

i can see this allowing even thinner devices, but at the same time, getting lesser battery space as a result, and having them be just good enough.

besides cramming more battery into space, is there any other application?

Donsai

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Zak Islam[/nom]Technology makes batteries bendable, as well as making the process in doing so more stable.[/citation]

Dear God, Zak. Please go back to school and learn how to write.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I don't know what you mean by "Imprintable". I've looked at my dictionary, Dictionary.com, and Wikipedia, and I do not see such a word. There is a word imprint, but how does that relate to this? In one sense you claim they are spraying stuff on, like layer deposition technology; however, what does that have to do with imprinting?

super d spamalot

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
You could put a battery pretty much anywhere with this. In your clothes, on your wrist, you could carry around a laptop bag/briefcase made out of a battery. Combine that with wireless charging and it opens up a lot of options for mobile devices! I like!

Status
Not open for further replies.