News World's First Laptop with RISC-V Processor Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

OriginFree

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
I don't understand this products viability at 1500 dollars...

Agreed. $500 definitely. $750 maybe for Linux and computer science enthusiasts. $1500 good luck with that.

Unless there is some serious performance that we don't know about I can't see this selling well. And I'm just not sure if "warranty by Alibaba" is a selling point or not, regardless of how good it is.

Jagwired

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
Shouldn’t Intel and AMD be backing RISC-V and making at least a few RISC-V CPUs? The market for RISC-V is small, but if they don’t try to promote the architecture, it seems like both Intel and AMD are going pay ARM a lot in the future as everything seems to be trending toward ARM.

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
"There’s also a $4,999 ‘premium’ package that sees extras like headphones and a smartwatch added to the deal, ... "

With $5K, I able to get very capable gaming laptop, with real gaming GPU (RTX3080M) and real gaming CPU (Ryzen 7/ Core i7) and ample SSD (2TB), sometimes more ...

Oct 6, 2022
This is not a gaming laptop. It's a laptop that runs on a RISC-V processor that uses an open source instruction set architecture that was developed at UC Berkeley. This laptop will be used by scientists and other data driven folks who want a lower power edge computing device that isn't running on closed source instruction set architecture.

The kind of people that will be helping to engineer the technologies of tomorrow, like a self driving car. It's not exactly bleeding edge technology, but getting this type of hardware into more people's hands will absolutely help drive the processor's maturity, which could lead to some breakthroughs down the road.

The target consumer for this product will absolutely shell out $1500 for one of these. source: me. it's me. I'll be buying one.

Reactions: Support_Lemon

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
This is not a gaming laptop. It's a laptop that runs on a RISC-V processor that uses an open source instruction set architecture that was developed at UC Berkeley. This laptop will be used by scientists and other data driven folks who want a lower power edge computing device that isn't running on closed source instruction set architecture.

The kind of people that will be helping to engineer the technologies of tomorrow, like a self driving car. It's not exactly bleeding edge technology, but getting this type of hardware into more people's hands will absolutely help drive the processor's maturity, which could lead to some breakthroughs down the road.

The target consumer for this product will absolutely shell out $1500 for one of these. source: me. it's me. I'll be buying one.
I understand that some people will want a RISC-V processor for research/tinkering, want an open ISA on principle, etc. But is there really that much benefit to get it in a laptop rather than, for example, a RISC-V SBC with comparable specs that costs as little as 1/5 to 1/10 the amount?

Last edited:
Reactions: daBee

daBee

Honorable
Dec 19, 2015
But is there really that much benefit to get it in a laptop rather than, for example, a RISC-V SBC with comparable specs that costs as little as 1/5 to 1/10 the amount?

Exactly. The price point needs to come down. Way down. Below the price of any MacBook Air. These will look attractive when it looks like a RP400+battery+monitor.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS