News Worldwide Reports Suggest Relatively Weak RTX 4080 Sales

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hope it comes back to bite them. This is the worst pricing I've ever seen in a next-gen lineup. The 4090 is almost worth its price, but the 4080, with dramatically worse performance, is not worth anywhere near $1200+. When Jensen said pricing was going to go up, and stay up, I was expecting 10% or so. Not 70%. The 4080 should have been listed starting at $799.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Good. Nvidia's ridiculous price increase deserves to be rejected. PC gaming shouldn't be limited to people with lots of cash to throw around. A price correction has been needed to make PC gaming more accessible. Hopefully this trend of 4080 rejection continues and pushes down the price of other GPUs.

Good. Nvidia's ridiculous price increase deserves to be rejected. PC gaming shouldn't be limited to people with lots of cash to throw around. A price correction has been needed to make PC gaming more accessible. Hopefully this trend of 4080 rejection continues and pushes down the price of other GPUs.
I agree that the prices are high but what makes someone NEED to upgrade from previous generations? Or, why does someone need a top tier card?

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I agree that the prices are high but what makes someone NEED to upgrade from previous generations? Or, why does someone need a top tier card?
I was motivated to upgrade because of content creation. I needed more performance to support greater levels of 3D subdivision and more complex game engine editor worlds. A lot of other people are pushed to upgrade by VR, buying higher-resolution or refresh rate monitors, or wanting more visual eye candy in their games. For some people, Half Life Alyx and the Valve Index were Crysis-like motivations to upgrade. Otherwise, there's been a lack of games that actually require something newer than a 9 or 10-series GPU.

I don't know that there's anything to support a 40-series upgrade right now. The price to performance ratio isn't worth it. Nvidia is probably happy that the 4080 isn't selling given that the 30-series cards have somehow increased in pricing recently based on other news posted on Tom's. The 4080 isn't cannibalizing 30-series sales right now. We can all sneer at Nvidia for their pricing and inventory, but I they likely planned for the 4080 to sit while 30-series gets cleaned out.

PC Games Hardware in Germany noted that, after a bright first few days for retailers (fast sales and elevated prices), things have slipped back.
The cards selling at high prices the first few days was likely the result of resellers picking them up hoping to make a quick buck if they happened to end up in short supply. But once it became clear that relatively few people were willing to buy the cards at their inflated MSRPs, let alone anything higher, any smart reseller would have quit buying them to avoid potentially having to sell the cards at a loss to get rid of them. Even at MSRP, the 4080 offers worse performance-per-dollar than the launch pricing for the prior generation x80 card released over two years ago.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if the 4080 saw a price cut relatively soon, or maybe a new version with less VRAM or something at a much lower price. Perhaps we will see a 4080 Ti launch at the current card's price point with performance just behind the 4090, with the 4080 dropping down to a somewhat less excessive price level, maybe around where the cancelled "4080" 12GB was intended to be positioned.

Reactions: artk2219

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
I can't tell if I'm surprised or not. I thought they might be able to get away with it, but I agree with the sentiment that it's expensive. The escalated Covid prices especially might have made people wary about buying tech gear the moment it comes out.

I have the feeling that Nvidia and AMD might be taking advantage of the whales that can afford to pay extra, and then price drop over a year or two. I have the feeling that people that are possibly willing to pay $1000 are probably waiting for AMD in December, even if a good amount of them favor Nvidia.

Giroro

Splendid
Hope it comes back to bite them. This is the worst pricing I've ever seen in a next-gen lineup. The 4090 is almost worth its price, but the 4080, with dramatically worse performance, is not worth anywhere near $1200+. When Jensen said pricing was going to go up, and stay up, I was expecting 10% or so. Not 70%. The 4080 should have been listed starting at $799.
Even $799 is too much for a card that is clearly built like a X070 series card.
Remember when the GTX 1080 Ti was a big ask when it launched at $699 during a mining boom?
Within 3 iterations, the 4080 is launching at over TWICE the $549 msrp of the GTX 1080, which is a card that is frankly still significantly better than what your average gamer is using right now.

Dec 6, 2022
The problem is scalpels and bots. It's easy to blame nVidia but in reality eBay sets the price. The 4090 MSRP might as well be $2,100 since that's how much it's selling for on eBay. You can't buy it at the store for MSRP, period.

I just checked Microcenter, 4080 is sold out in most of their locations. AT least folks could get the card for MSRP at the store. Obviously an $899 4080 wouldn't have existed anywhere but on eBay, likely for $1,200.

The way I see it the GPU market is simply broken right now and it's about to get worse with tariff exemptions expiring eom. 4080 will likely be selling for $1500+.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022
I was motivated to upgrade because of content creation. I needed more performance to support greater levels of 3D subdivision and more complex game engine editor worlds. A lot of other people are pushed to upgrade by VR, buying higher-resolution or refresh rate monitors, or wanting more visual eye candy in their games. For some people, Half Life Alyx and the Valve Index were Crysis-like motivations to upgrade. Otherwise, there's been a lack of games that actually require something newer than a 9 or 10-series GPU.

I don't know that there's anything to support a 40-series upgrade right now. The price to performance ratio isn't worth it. Nvidia is probably happy that the 4080 isn't selling given that the 30-series cards have somehow increased in pricing recently based on other news posted on Tom's. The 4080 isn't cannibalizing 30-series sales right now. We can all sneer at Nvidia for their pricing and inventory, but I they likely planned for the 4080 to sit while 30-series gets cleaned out.
4080 beats 3090 Ti by 30% and folks were paying $1,500+ for it. How is price to performance ratio not worth it?
You must be thinking 4080 vs 4090 instead, good luck finding 4090 at MSRP.