[SOLVED] Worried about 3080 temps

moepkid

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
hey all,

I just recently bought a prebuild pc from lenovo seeing I did not want to build myself. Now it has a 3080, and I have never had a high end card. I saw that while playing bf V for two games the CPU got up to 71 max and the GPU to 72 max (100% usage). Are these safe temps to play long periods of time with?

sorry for the noob question and wasting time, im just a bit worried i cant play games for a longer time than the 1,5 hours i did today.

Solution
Yes, I meant memory. Many apps don't report this one, but hwinfo does report gpu memory thermals, alongside gpu core and hotspot.
Hotspot is the reading from the hottest thermal sensor, but it's not specified from which sensor off the gpu, so it's not very reliable.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, I meant memory. Many apps don't report this one, but hwinfo does report gpu memory thermals, alongside gpu core and hotspot.
Hotspot is the reading from the hottest thermal sensor, but it's not specified from which sensor off the gpu, so it's not very reliable.

Solution

moepkid

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Thanks! So I can keep playing? I am trying to attached a screenshot of hwinfo but I cant find the options for that. I am sorry if i am acting paranoid. Its the first time and I am afraid i break it by playing such intense games :/

moepkid

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
You're welcome, and enjoy!

Sorry to bother you again, but I played bfv for about three hours yesterday, and I saw that I hit the values 72, 82 and 84 (gpu, hot spot and memory). This was also for BF4 when playing with 200fps for about an hour (I capped it with instructions because I think I dont notice it). GPU z showed me the fans of the gpu are at 53% max in the bfV scenario. When playing uncapped fps in BF4, the fans were a bit louder. Does this mean my pc decides to let it stay at this temp? I mean, if it was too hot, the fans would be spinning harder right?

I know the maximums now thanks to you, but does playing at these temps degrade it so that I have to buy a new one in a year or so? Again, my knowledge is limited so sorry if it is a stupid question.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Does this mean my pc decides to let it stay at this temp?
I wouldn't say it 'let it', but the software controlling the fans deems the current thermals ok, so it doesn't have a reason to ramp up higher.
Some users find the default fan curves annoying. I guess that's not the case for you.

"I mean, if it was too hot, the fans would be spinning harder right?"
Yes.

"... does playing at these temps degrade it so that I have to buy a new one in a year or so?"
Not a chance.
Dust is more likely to take it out if you neglect cleaning it for long enough.
Blow it out like every 6 months or so - once a year at the minimum.
If you intend to keep it for a few years or so, you'll have to take it apart at some point - something you'll have to get used to.
-fan failure(they're not finite).
-thermal paste dries up and isn't doing its job anymore.
-deeper clean; get those harder to reach spots that can't be taken care of from just blowing the card out with an aerosol can/electronic duster.

while playing bf V for two games the CPU got up to 71 max and the GPU to 72 max
there's nothing dangerous going on but you can still work on possibly lowering your overall system temperatures by ensuring you have more aggressive airflow throughout the system with good case cooling.

what case is the prebuilt using, how many fans does it have, what model are they, where are they placed, and how are they oriented?

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Sorry to bother you again, but I played bfv for about three hours yesterday, and I saw that I hit the values 72, 82 and 84 (gpu, hot spot and memory). This was also for BF4 when playing with 200fps for about an hour (I capped it with instructions because I think I dont notice it). GPU z showed me the fans of the gpu are at 53% max in the bfV scenario. When playing uncapped fps in BF4, the fans were a bit louder. Does this mean my pc decides to let it stay at this temp? I mean, if it was too hot, the fans would be spinning harder right?

I know the maximums now thanks to you, but does playing at these temps degrade it so that I have to buy a new one in a year or so? Again, my knowledge is limited so sorry if it is a stupid question.
72-85ish degrees is completely normal for GPU usage. I wouldn't recommend pinning your fans to 100% because that just wears them down, but also its loud. I wouldn't worry about these temps for normal videogame usage. There starts be issues at 90c+ but before then I wouldn't worry too much. If the fans are spinning at different speeds its because its trying to regulate the temps of your GPU so it doesn't overheat and maintain its temperature.

Reactions: moepkid

moepkid

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
there's nothing dangerous going on but you can still work on possibly lowering your overall system temperatures by ensuring you have more aggressive airflow throughout the system with good case cooling.

what case is the prebuilt using, how many fans does it have, what model are they, where are they placed, and how are they oriented?

Its a Lenovo Legion t7 case. 1 fan out, 2 fans on top and three at the front. Inside there is a 40mm cpu cooler with a water droplet icon on it

moepkid

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
I wouldn't say it 'let it', but the software controlling the fans deems the current thermals ok, so it doesn't have a reason to ramp up higher.
Some users find the default fan curves annoying. I guess that's not the case for you.

"I mean, if it was too hot, the fans would be spinning harder right?"
Yes.

"... does playing at these temps degrade it so that I have to buy a new one in a year or so?"
Not a chance.
Dust is more likely to take it out if you neglect cleaning it for long enough.
Blow it out like every 6 months or so - once a year at the minimum.
If you intend to keep it for a few years or so, you'll have to take it apart at some point - something you'll have to get used to.
-fan failure(they're not finite).
-thermal paste dries up and isn't doing its job anymore.
-deeper clean; get those harder to reach spots that can't be taken care of from just blowing the card out with an aerosol can/electronic duster.

Thanks for the extended explanation. Sorry again for bothering, Im new to this and tomorrow will be the first time I do an upgrade myself! Going to extend the ram from 16 to 32 :D

moepkid

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Make SURE the RAM you add in to upgrade, is Identical to the RAM in the computer already. It would be better to replace the RAM with an entire new set, but you can maybe get away with adding another set, as long as they are identical. Same Brand, Model, Speed, Latency, etc.
thanks for the info! Everything except the brand is different seeing that one was out of stock. Everything else is the same (specs)

If it is not an identical match, but very close, I do expect it to work, but it may be unstable on occasion, or cause odd issues under heavy use. If you have any issues with the PC in the future, try removing the non-matching RAM first, and see if the issue continues. That being said, hope you enjoy the upgrade.

Reactions: moepkid

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019

download msi afterburner and set a better fan curve