[SOLVED] Worried about cpu temperature while gaming

Dec 18, 2018
Recently bought a msi gp63 laptop with 1070 gpu and 8750h cpu. While playing far cry 5 on ultra with vsync at 60fps, cpu temp got as high as 95c. Unlike the gpu temp its steady at 65-68c, the cpu temp constantly going up and down sometimes by 5c and sometimes by 10c. I have cooler boost on it cranks up all the fans to max and i even had my laptop raised higher off table for more air to get in. When i feel the laptop its lukewarm all around but the reading of the cpu/gpu has me worried. Should i be worried? is this normal for a laptop?

Solution
Normally laptops run pretty hot. 95C seems a little on the warmer side than normal, but is still within the capability of the CPU to handle. The maximum temp the CPU can handle is 100C. If 95C makes you uncomfortable there are a few things you can do. The easiest is to turn down the AC in your home. Easy, but it makes a difference to lower the ambient temp. You could also just try raising the laptop so more cool air can get under it. Next is to get a cooling pad and force some cool air into the bottom of the system. for some people this is all it takes. The next most difficult is to download Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility and undervolt the CPU. Basically you are telling it not to use as much power but still try to perform the same. Some...
Normally laptops run pretty hot. 95C seems a little on the warmer side than normal, but is still within the capability of the CPU to handle. The maximum temp the CPU can handle is 100C. If 95C makes you uncomfortable there are a few things you can do. The easiest is to turn down the AC in your home. Easy, but it makes a difference to lower the ambient temp. You could also just try raising the laptop so more cool air can get under it. Next is to get a cooling pad and force some cool air into the bottom of the system. for some people this is all it takes. The next most difficult is to download Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility and undervolt the CPU. Basically you are telling it not to use as much power but still try to perform the same. Some people swear by it. I've not had great luck with my 7700HQ. The most difficult thing is to change the thermal paste. I changed the thermal compound on my laptop and it helped drop temps by 8C. Sometimes it is the stock material, in my case it was the stock application. It looked like a blind person tried to apply it in an earthquake. Some people swap the thermal paste for liquid metal and that stuff is utterly amazing. It is also the most dangerous way to cool a laptop because it is metal, and it is liquid, and if it leaks out it can kill your computer.

There is no problem running it the way it is. These things are designed to handle the conditions they run in. You'll probably be fine doing nothing, but in general the cooler things can run the longer they will last. So, it is up to you.

Solution

metal01

Prominent
Sep 6, 2020
is it okay to turn off turbo boost mode in CPU ?
I have done that in COD-warzone and temperature decreased from 100 to 75
and I didn't see a significant change in game performance

I have dell g5 5590
i5-9300h
GTX 1650
8 RAM