[SOLVED] worried about heavy cpu coolers

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
ok guys,

after what has happened to my mobo, gpu weight have warped my mobo.i was thinking about using the stock cpu cooler on my i5 11400. all i know is the 11-400 is quite powerful and i really want a cooler better than the stock as i do worry about the temp.

getting my new mobo next week with the new cpu too.

can anyone recommend a light but decent cpu cooler please, i wamt argb on it though.

many thanks

Solution
Being in Florida for 20-odd years, I saw plenty of motherboards that sagged/warped due to humidity affecting the pcb after several years. Traces don't take well to stretching, especially on the more budget class boards being pushed to limits by overclocking and giant coolers.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
A big CPU cooler with a proper backplate will not damage your motherboard unless you like drop the computer down a flight of stairs or something.

What is your budget, and what country are you in?
dont really have a budget, if you can recommend a decent one that will look after my mobo then im all up for it.

actually do you think liquid cooler is the way to go as that does not weigh anything at all?

im from uk.

i am bit cautious though after whats happened on my current mobo though.

A big CPU cooler with a proper backplate will not damage your motherboard unless you like drop the computer down a flight of stairs or something.
Also if you don't tighten it to death--coolers only need to be tight enough for a good contact between the cpu and cooler--it's not a screw or bolt that needs to be fully tightened. I even have coolers that are only halfway tightened because they work fine that way and it does stress the board less.

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Also if you don't tighten it to death--coolers only need to be tight enough for a good contact between the cpu and cooler--it's not a screw or bolt that needs to be fully tightened. I even have coolers that are only halfway tightened because they work fine that way and it does stress the board less.
i have stopped turning the screw when it starts to grip.

Reactions: SamirD
i5-11400 is not an overly hot processor.
It should do fine with the supplied stock unit.
Try that first, and see how you do.
If you want a good aftermarket cooler, any tower type with a 120mm fan will do the job and probably be quieter.
Probably the easiest and most secure mounting system comes from noctua.
The system sets the pressure properly and easily.
You can't over tighten.

Any cooler needs a case with sufficient front air intake to let it do it's job.
AIO coolers screw that up.
Mount the radiator in front and your cpu cools well, but your motherboard and graphics card suffers.
Mount on top and your cpu cooling is less effective.

Damage from weight is much more likely to come from heavy graphics cards.
There are braces you can buy to support them, and asrock provides them with their new motherboards.

And... what happened to your current motherboard??

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
i5-11400 is not an overly hot processor.
It should do fine with the supplied stock unit.
Try that first, and see how you do.
If you want a good aftermarket cooler, any tower type with a 120mm fan will do the job and probably be quieter.
Probably the easiest and most secure mounting system comes from noctua.
The system sets the pressure properly and easily.
You can't over tighten.

Any cooler needs a case with sufficient front air intake to let it do it's job.
AIO coolers screw that up.
Mount the radiator in front and your cpu cools well, but your motherboard and graphics card suffers.
Mount on top and your cpu cooling is less effective.

Damage from weight is much more likely to come from heavy graphics cards.
There are braces you can buy to support them, and asrock provides them with their new motherboards.

And... what happened to your current motherboard??
thank you for that

i will try the stock cooler, if im not happy with that then i still have my v5.

my gtx 480 been in the same position for ages and when i took it out, it wouldnt switch on, only part of my mobo was receiving power, unless i put the gtx 480 back in then i cant switch it on at all.

so basically my mobo is warped but i was planning getting a new mobo anyway but worried about the v5 as that is quite bulky and may damage my new mobo.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Being in Florida for 20-odd years, I saw plenty of motherboards that sagged/warped due to humidity affecting the pcb after several years. Traces don't take well to stretching, especially on the more budget class boards being pushed to limits by overclocking and giant coolers.

Solution
Performance wise it's about on par with other decent budget coolers such as a Deepcool Gammaxx 400 which is also another good recommendation.

But generally argb makes the cost a fair bit more, and so does a power coated / painted heatsink. But this has both and is still really cheap.

The mounting mechanism for Intel uses a backplate that looks decent about spreading weight.

Plus, it's not that heavy of a cooler, at least compared to some air coolers.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
many thanks guys,

i do have the vetroo v5.

i feel so much better hearing all that, i will just use my v5. im just being paranoid i guess.

one problem though, how would i get the double sided sticker off behind the mobo that is held on by the v5 vetroo backplate?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
ok guys,

after what has happened to my mobo, gpu weight have warped my mobo.i was thinking about using the stock cpu cooler on my i5 11400. all i know is the 11-400 is quite powerful and i really want a cooler better than the stock as i do worry about the temp.

getting my new mobo next week with the new cpu too.

can anyone recommend a light but decent cpu cooler please, i wamt argb on it though.

many thanks
Huge Cryorig R1 cooler in my PC this is the 2nd PC it's been used in with 0 problems.
View: https://imgur.com/IHdk5FV

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador