Worried about my Laptop lifetime?

edikz

Commendable
Jul 9, 2020
I have an MSI GE70 I just purchased used quite cheap.

i7-4710HQ, 12GB, GTX880M Video, 17.3" FHD.

Checked SMART parameters for both internal disks (M.2 and Mechanical).

The laptop (built May 2014) has had 11600 hours of use and 3500 power on/offs.. no typo!

If one drive stated that I might think it was replaced - but both have almost identical times - they are the original drives for the laptop (checked specs).

It seems it must have been on almost permanently. CPU and GTX 850M video card have lowish temps (so they have some heatsink paste on them still!). Although a bit scruffy it all seems to work fine, the drives even show NO SMART errors. Other than a dud CD/DVD drive (which I'll replace with a HDD Caddy anyhow) everything seems working fine.

SO... will this fail sooner rather than later??? I'm upgrading the disks anyhow so that isn't an issue, but what about the motherboard!!

Thanks guys!

USAFRet

Titan
"The laptop (built May 2014) has had 11600 hours of use and 3500 power on/offs.. no typo! "

Absolutely not abnormal.
11,600 hours is only about 6 hours per day for 5.3 years, So...2014.

edikz

Commendable
Jul 9, 2020
No, I agree its the correct figure... (although somebody must be obsessed at the keyboard!!) however will this affect reliability going forward?

I'm hoping that I can get another few thousand hours or much more out of it )))

Just that 11000+ hours on the mobo worries me !!!

USAFRet

Titan
No, I agree its the correct figure... (although somebody must be obsessed at the keyboard!!) however will this affect reliability going forward?

Just that 11000 hours on the mobo worried me !!!
6-7 hours a day is NOT being obsessed.
For instance, that is almost exactly 8 hrs day, Mon-Fri, for 5.5 yrs. AKA, a normal working schedule!

"On" does not automatically = pounding at the keyboard.

Just that 11000+ hours on the mobo worries me !!!

How long it will last for you is a total guess, it could die in 5 days, could run another 5 years. I have seen new out of the box laptops have issues, my gaming laptop needed a new motherboard at 7 months, I have owned laptops 10 yrs old that were still good when I replaced them due to speed issues only.

When you buy used or something like an extended warranty you are gambling reliability vs money, there is no chart to estimate how long electronics will last vs how long they will last past some very general stats since parts and quality change from model to model.