Question Worried about my PSU

Nov 23, 2022
Hello, i currently have an FSP Hydro G 750w PSU..

im worried about it becouse i bought it used.. and im not sure about the PSU cables.. becouse it came with an EVGA box and lots of cables.. i’ve used it for about 4 months without any problems.. no wierd sounds no nothing.. i have no clue about the past of the PSU..

should i change it?
My only option would be an NZXT C650W.. the thing im worried about here is that it may not be enough for my system.. i would like to know if 650w is okay for my system..

i also experience a lot of GPU coil whine.

here are the specs.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x Stock.
AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT
ASrock B550 Pro4
AQIRYS 240mm AIO
2 Sata SSD’s (Samsung 870 500gb, 256 Gigabyte UD PRO)
2 Nvme’s (Samsung 980 500gb, kingston NV2)
About 6 RGB Fans.
2 Monitors
Logitech Keyboard and Mouse.
Razer Microphone.
Bluetooth adaptor..
And other small stuff..

And should i change it?
Or just keep the FSP Hydro G PsU?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If it were the wrong cables that would have presented immediately.

Buying used is always a chance to be taken, but if the price was right and it seems to be working I am not sure there would be reason to change it now. I am not aware of the quality of said unit. There is a hierarchy list here on TH, and another good one from LTT.

I don't see any reason to change it unless and until you notice something that would indicate a problem with it. If you haven't had a problem in four months, then the cables you are using must be the right ones AND most cables have an identifier stamped or printed directly on them somewhere that can be researched online to see WHO they belong to in terms of, like, FSP, Seasonic, Corsair, etc. and then those companies normally have charts on their websites showing which specific cables are compatible with which specific models they sell.

IF however you know that your unit has been in service for 10 years or more, as that was the original warranty period for that unit, then it's time for a new power supply. There are no power supplies out there that I would trust for more than 10 years no matter who made them, what brand or how good the initial quality was. Not with hardware I value anyhow. Even a top of the line Seasonic, Corsair or other unit with a 12 year warranty (Which is very few units or models) I would not trust past 10 years especially if it's been in a gaming system or other high demand machine for all that time.

Being as you already have about an additional 200w headroom even beyond what the recommend capacity that already includes some headroom is, you almost certainly have never even come close to taxing that unit in any way so I'm sure it's probably fine all the way up to it's warranty end date. If however you'd experienced any issues that you believe to be PSU related, then you will want to revisit the idea of whether to replace it or not. Based on your post, that hasn't happened, so I would not be inclined to recommend replacement unless one of these other criteria are met.

Buying used is always a chance to be taken, but if the price was right and it seems to be working I am not sure there would be reason to change it now. I am not aware of the quality of said unit. There is a hierarchy list here on TH, and another good one from LTT.
The FSP Hydro G units were actually quite good. They just weren't all that widely available OR where they were, competitively priced, compared to other models from other brands, so they didn't see as widespread usage in the US as they did some other places.

It's not a top shelf unit, but it's definitely no turd either.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/fsp-hg750/12.html

Aaaaand, looking at the review, it shows only a 5 year warranty, whereas the FSP website shows a 10 year warranty. If in fact this unit only had a 5 year warranty, then revise my earlier statement to include that. I thought it was only 5 years to begin with but the website says 10. That might have been for newer revisions of the Hydro G and it might be a good idea to assume this only had a 5 year warranty and make any replacement decisions based on that rather than on the idea that it's good up to 10 years.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Nov 23, 2022

thank you for the response!
I don't see any reason to change it unless and until you notice something that would indicate a problem with it. If you haven't had a problem in four months, then the cables you are using must be the right ones AND most cables have an identifier stamped or printed directly on them somewhere that can be researched online to see WHO they belong to in terms of, like, FSP, Seasonic, Corsair, etc. and then those companies normally have charts on their websites showing which specific cables are compatible with which specific models they sell.

IF however you know that your unit has been in service for 10 years or more, as that was the original warranty period for that unit, then it's time for a new power supply. There are no power supplies out there that I would trust for more than 10 years no matter who made them, what brand or how good the initial quality was. Not with hardware I value anyhow. Even a top of the line Seasonic, Corsair or other unit with a 12 year warranty (Which is very few units or models) I would not trust past 10 years especially if it's been in a gaming system or other high demand machine for all that time.

Being as you already have about an additional 200w headroom even beyond what the recommend capacity that already includes some headroom is, you almost certainly have never even come close to taxing that unit in any way so I'm sure it's probably fine all the way up to it's warranty end date. If however you'd experienced any issues that you believe to be PSU related, then you will want to revisit the idea of whether to replace it or not. Based on your post, that hasn't happened, so I would not be inclined to recommend replacement unless one of these other criteria are met.

i would like to add that i dont know if the PSU has any warranty still.. and i dont have any papers on my possession.. im not sure how long it was used before it ended in my system..
And thats another reason why im worried.

Nov 23, 2022
The FSP Hydro G units were actually quite good. They just weren't all that widely available OR where they were, competitively priced, compared to other models from other brands, so they didn't see as widespread usage in the US as they did some other places.

It's not a top shelf unit, but it's definitely no turd either.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/fsp-hg750/12.html

Aaaaand, looking at the review, it shows only a 5 year warranty, whereas the FSP website shows a 10 year warranty. If in fact this unit only had a 5 year warranty, then revise my earlier statement to include that. I thought it was only 5 years to begin with but the website says 10. That might have been for newer revisions of the Hydro G and it might be a good idea to assume this only had a 5 year warranty and make any replacement decisions based on that rather than on the idea that it's good up to 10 years.
okay, but would the NZXT C650W be a good replacement.. if i replace it?

That unit is mostly pretty decent. It's based on the Seasonic Focus Plus platform. You could definitely do a lot worse. Hopefully you're buying new, through a reputable seller this time, although being fair what you already have wasn't a bad option either for a lot of regions depending on what you paid for it. It would definitely be worth keeping around just as a backup or for troubleshooting purposes since it's still working.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nzxt-c650-power-supply-review

That's the V1, based on the revisited SS Focus Plus, a platform known by ripple issues near OCP point. There where also shutdown issues with the 1st launch of the Focus plus but SS solved that in the revision of the platform launched about march 2018. The C Gold v1 has the revisited platform. The V2 is better and based on a CWT CSZ platform. There's no V2 (or 2022) model available in your country?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello, i currently have an FSP Hydro G 750w PSU..

im worried about it becouse i bought it used.. and im not sure about the PSU cables.. becouse it came with an EVGA box and lots of cables.. i’ve used it for about 4 months without any problems.. no wierd sounds no nothing.. i have no clue about the past of the PSU..

should i change it?
My only option would be an NZXT C650W.. the thing im worried about here is that it may not be enough for my system.. i would like to know if 650w is okay for my system..

i also experience a lot of GPU coil whine.

here are the specs.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x Stock.
AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT
ASrock B550 Pro4
AQIRYS 240mm AIO
2 Sata SSD’s (Samsung 870 500gb, 256 Gigabyte UD PRO)
2 Nvme’s (Samsung 980 500gb, kingston NV2)
About 6 RGB Fans.
2 Monitors
Logitech Keyboard and Mouse.
Razer Microphone.
Bluetooth adaptor..
And other small stuff..

And should i change it?
Or just keep the FSP Hydro G PsU?
750 Watts is way over what your PC uses why are you even stressed? Just keep what you have/

That's what I said earlier, however, if there is a good chance this unit is over five years old, I'd probably want to replace it as well and if he bought it used, I think there's a really good chance it IS over five years old. Especially somewhere like Romania. If he can afford a new one, it probably isn't the worst thing he could do to proactively protect his hardware IMO. I agree that it's overkill for his needs but that isn't hurting anything even if he gets a new one especially if he plans to get a higher tiered graphics card at some point.

Even so, unless he plans to REALLY jump up the graphics card tier ladder, just a good 650w which would STILL be more than needed by a decent measure, would be less expensive and perfectly suitable for use with his current card or the majority of entry to mid tiered cards. Unfortunately there don't seem to be much of anything actually in stock on any of the Romanian sites I've looked at. If the OP has some other preferred online retailers they'd be able to order through I'd be happy to take a look on there and see what's actually available to them. If they are only able to purchase through local shops, then we can't be of much help since we have no idea what else they have available and that takes us back to square one.

Reactions: Zamfik267
Nov 23, 2022
That's what I said earlier, however, if there is a good chance this unit is over five years old, I'd probably want to replace it as well and if he bought it used, I think there's a really good chance it IS over five years old. Especially somewhere like Romania. If he can afford a new one, it probably isn't the worst thing he could do to proactively protect his hardware IMO. I agree that it's overkill for his needs but that isn't hurting anything even if he gets a new one especially if he plans to get a higher tiered graphics card at some point.

Even so, unless he plans to REALLY jump up the graphics card tier ladder, just a good 650w which would STILL be more than needed by a decent measure, would be less expensive and perfectly suitable for use with his current card or the majority of entry to mid tiered cards. Unfortunately there don't seem to be much of anything actually in stock on any of the Romanian sites I've looked at. If the OP has some other preferred online retailers they'd be able to order through I'd be happy to take a look on there and see what's actually available to them. If they are only able to purchase through local shops, then we can't be of much help since we have no idea what else they have available and that takes us back to square one.
some good romanian sites are either cel.ro, PCgarage, eMAG, forit.ro and vexio.ro..

my budget is exactly 100$ or about 450-500 lei (RON)

Nov 23, 2022
Looking at all those sites and at all capacities and models between 650-750w, I think this is definitely the best option that will work for you and is within your budget AND is actually available.

https://www.forit.ro/surse/thermaltake/231975-toughpower-gf1-80-plus-gold-650w/?img=327244

UPDATE .. recently started having Critical Errors while playing FIFA 23, random reboots..
Here is a pic of event viewer..

View: https://imgur.com/a/te9Gq6L

Should i change it immediately?

And you need to make sure that you keep two DIMMs that came together, TOGETHER. It does no good if you are using one DIMM that came in one kit and one DIMM that came in another, in any case where the problem might be related to the fact that not all DIMMs came together in a single kit.

You can identify (Usually) which two DIMMs came together by looking at the sticker on the memory. There should be an identifier on there such as the production date or ID that tells you which DIMMs came from which kit.

Nov 23, 2022
2 kits of 2.
And you need to make sure that you keep two DIMMs that came together, TOGETHER. It does no good if you are using one DIMM that came in one kit and one DIMM that came in another, in any case where the problem might be related to the fact that not all DIMMs came together in a single kit.

You can identify (Usually) which two DIMMs came together by looking at the sticker on the memory. There should be an identifier on there such as the production date or ID that tells you which DIMMs came from which kit.
before i do what y’all said i tought its a good idea to run MemTest and see if i get any errors in the actual configuration.. and when i bought the ram sticks i picked exactly the same specs.. and i did put them in the correct slots..( KIT 1 (A1, B1), ) ( KIT 2 (A2, B2) ) here is a memtest attachment.. now the question is.. should i try and only use 2 sticks instead of 4.. After running this test?

View: https://imgur.com/a/WNFojzb