Worried about old HDD on new build

Anthony_412

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Hey all,

Recently bought all parts for a new build with 500GB SSD.using a X370 GAMING PRO CARBON.

I have a HDD thats 1TB about 3 years old.. I want to just use it as slave storage on my new build but the issue is I obviously couldn't reformat it because it was running my previous computer but I did restore the computer and dumped majority of files. when removing it I was slightly rough because im pitching my old computer and did't ground myself when removing the HDD and again was kind of rough.

I have new windows 10 on USB and will install that on SSD, will it be an issue since my old OS is on the old harddrive? -If I fried or ruined my HDD unknowingly and use it in new build will it ruin the board or other parts?
Should I just not be a cheapo and buy a new HDD?
P.S it is SATA

Thanks yall

Solution
There should be no issue with using the old HDD as a storage drive. I doubt you did any damage to it unless you let it fall on the floor, or zapped the circuit board on the back. You'll know when you put it back in service.

But don't expect to be able to use the apps/pgms on the old drive with the new Win10 OS.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There should be no issue with using the old HDD as a storage drive. I doubt you did any damage to it unless you let it fall on the floor, or zapped the circuit board on the back. You'll know when you put it back in service.

But don't expect to be able to use the apps/pgms on the old drive with the new Win10 OS.

Solution