Worried about PCIE slot (Mr paranoid!)

willabyblen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Hi there.

I'm pretty paranoid and always worry about things.

I recently took out my gpu from my computer and found it was very stiff and took a bit of effort. There was a slight sound(the only way I can describe it is as cracking/popping sound) which could be the card the slot or just the case itself. (for some reason my case where the motherboard is housed is quite flimsy and can be pushed in and out kind of like the seal on some cans).

After this I put the card back in to make sure I had not broken anything and the pc booted up no problem. My question is could I have used too much force and caused a problem further down the line with the PCIE slot?

If I just used a different slot from now on could I eliminate the possibility of a problem and if it was prone to eventually fail or something It would not matter because I have my gpu in a different slot thus not using the slot so it does not fail.

I know it's silly to worry even though it works I just can't handle breaking my £540 Gpu because I may have caused unseen damage during the process of taking it out.

I have 3 pcie slots on my motherboard so I can easily switch it over to another and hopefully eliminate the risk of breaking my gpu. As I said before when I put the card back in it worked fine and there isn't any obvious signs of damage to the slot I'm just freaking paranoid.

I hope you can appreciate my plight and help a super worrying dude
Thanks alot for the help!

Edit: I have also just realised it's a x8 slot so I should put it in the x16 slot anyways.

Solution
Yes, I think you may be TOO paranoid. A tight fit is normal. It's hard telling what the sound you heard was, but I really doubt it could be anything to be concerned about.