[SOLVED] Worried about phone and computer radiation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Hello,
I have recently become concerned about the radiation that emits from my iPhone and my gaming computer. I’m on my phone and gaming computer quite often and I’m worried that the radiation from them can harm my health. I used a wired headset for my gaming computer and I play a decent amount of video games. I enjoy them because it’s fun, and I also love watching YouTube videos on my iPad and iPhone. However I have read that all of these contain radiation that can be harmful to health. When I am gaming on my computer am I exposed to radiation? Please let me know I’m a bit worried.

Solution
Hello,
I have recently become concerned about the radiation that emits from my iPhone and my gaming computer. I’m on my phone and gaming computer quite often and I’m worried that the radiation from them can harm my health. I used a wired headset for my gaming computer and I play a decent amount of video games. I enjoy them because it’s fun, and I also love watching YouTube videos on my iPad and iPhone. However I have read that all of these contain radiation that can be harmful to health. When I am gaming on my computer am I exposed to radiation? Please let me know I’m a bit worried.
No the radiation will not effect your health. They emit low frequency EM waves in the radio wave range which if you didn't know is swirling around...
Hello,
No the radiation will not effect your health. They emit low frequency EM waves in the radio wave range which if you didn't know is swirling around you at all times anyway because it's used to broadcast freaking everything from radio and satellite TV to RADAR and telescopes. The radiation you'll come across everyday which can cause you harm is UV which is from the Sun, tanning beds etc. Doubt you'll come into contact with significant X or gamma ray radiation unless you're living in Chernobyl or going for an X-ray (and even then you'd need to have about 300 chest X-rays a year to cause damage)

Solution
Jul 30, 2020
There is evidence that ionizing radiation does have negative effects over your health. Ionizing = with enough energy (higher frequencies) to excite electrons enough so they'll go wild. Examples of this are the ones provided by LordVile.

Now about the non-ionizing radiation, such as microwaves and other radiation coming from low energy devices such as phones and computers there is no scientific evidence or significant results that indicate that they are harmful to your health apart from the eye damage caused by blue lights and high energy (close to UV) lights.:D

Sep 16, 2020
It's not only the frequency which is about the energy of the photons usually expressed as eV, but the power level amplitude of the transmissions which the energy level of the wave expressed in watts (W) or decibels (dB) for RF transmissions. It can be the combined eV of the photons and their numbers and duration of exposure compared to the body's absorption rate that would be an issue... but in most things that surround you, that's very low on photon or combined energy levels, even if your exposure is high/constant.

First of all the wired headset to you PC wouldn't be doing much... RF radiation wise, likely more danger from the audio dB than the headset, same with the other components, even if you had a CRT monitor. If you were using WiFi on your rig, those power levels are still very low, usually 0.5W for a base station, and about half that for dedicated cards (~200mW) and less less again for intergrated (~50-100mW), also relatively recent upper limits for 5Ghz WiFi is 1W, while 4W remains for 2.4Ghz (was the old 802.11a limit too), but they are usually reserved for industrial applications, like the 7W upper cell limit.

There's other types & source of 'radiation' in your PC, like thermal IR radiation, light emission including UV from monitor or case lights... but again.... not at levels to be of concern.... except if the fan exhaust is right on your leg or more important 'parts'.

As for the RF/EMF side of things, home appliances, are pretty much very low power/wattage transmissions devices, and have used less and less power to transmit signals in the same frequency ranges as signal detection and processing have improved over the years.. Even cell phones that go much further than they used to on the same frequency have lowered power levels when going from analogue to digital from max of ~7W to below 3W and then again a bit when going from 2G to 3G, even when actively searching they use a lot less, and usually much less than that for normal use, and even less under low-power stand-by. Cordless phones are about 5-10% the power/wattage of cell phones (~100mW), and class 2 BT in most headphones is a similar fraction of that (~2-5mW), class 1 long-range BT is about the same as a cordless phone 50-100mW.

Had there been an issue with this, then problems would have shown up long ago, way before the move to Sub6 5G cellular that seems to be the focus (even though we haven't even started auctioning off the upper limit Sub6 spectrum yet, let alone use it, we're just at about 3.5Ghz). WiFi and others have been using upper 5Ghz spectrum for decades with 802.11a coming in the late 90s, all without an uptick in issues (in fact a lowering per capita) despite people's perceptions of an increase or increased threat.

There is an are to be wary, the reason standing next to microwave transmitters and cell towers is not good for you is the extremely higher energy output, and with sattelite it's higher energy and much high frequencies 30-300Ghz, but these are usually in spot far away from people and as energy decreases greatly over distance (inverse square law) it's not an issue unless you stand right next to one.

So hopefully that allays your fears, and helps you understand it well enouh to educate others. 🤠🤙

A good quick look at the myths & hype of this since 5G started people becoming irrational is covered and debunked at Android Authority;
https://www.androidauthority.com/5g-dangers-895776/

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
It's not only the frequency which is about the energy of the photons usually expressed as eV, but the power level amplitude of the transmissions which the energy level of the wave expressed in watts (W) or decibels (dB) for RF transmissions. It can be the combined eV of the photons and their numbers and duration of exposure compared to the body's absorption rate that would be an issue... but in most things that surround you, that's very low on photon or combined energy levels, even if your exposure is high/constant.

First of all the wired headset to you PC wouldn't be doing much... RF radiation wise, likely more danger from the audio dB than the headset, same with the other components, even if you had a CRT monitor. If you were using WiFi on your rig, those power levels are still very low, usually 0.5W for a base station, and about half that for dedicated cards (~200mW) and less less again for intergrated (~50-100mW), also relatively recent upper limits for 5Ghz WiFi is 1W, while 4W remains for 2.4Ghz (was the old 802.11a limit too), but they are usually reserved for industrial applications, like the 7W upper cell limit.

There's other types & source of 'radiation' in your PC, like thermal IR radiation, light emission including UV from monitor or case lights... but again.... not at levels to be of concern.... except if the fan exhaust is right on your leg or more important 'parts'.

As for the RF/EMF side of things, home appliances, are pretty much very low power/wattage transmissions devices, and have used less and less power to transmit signals in the same frequency ranges as signal detection and processing have improved over the years.. Even cell phones that go much further than they used to on the same frequency have lowered power levels when going from analogue to digital from max of ~7W to below 3W and then again a bit when going from 2G to 3G, even when actively searching they use a lot less, and usually much less than that for normal use, and even less under low-power stand-by. Cordless phones are about 5-10% the power/wattage of cell phones (~100mW), and class 2 BT in most headphones is a similar fraction of that (~2-5mW), class 1 long-range BT is about the same as a cordless phone 50-100mW.

Had there been an issue with this, then problems would have shown up long ago, way before the move to Sub6 5G cellular that seems to be the focus (even though we haven't even started auctioning off the upper limit Sub6 spectrum yet, let alone use it, we're just at about 3.5Ghz). WiFi and others have been using upper 5Ghz spectrum for decades with 802.11a coming in the late 90s, all without an uptick in issues (in fact a lowering per capita) despite people's perceptions of an increase or increased threat.

There is an are to be wary, the reason standing next to microwave transmitters and cell towers is not good for you is the extremely higher energy output, and with sattelite it's higher energy and much high frequencies 30-300Ghz, but these are usually in spot far away from people and as energy decreases greatly over distance (inverse square law) it's not an issue unless you stand right next to one.

So hopefully that allays your fears, and helps you understand it well enouh to educate others. 🤠🤙

A good quick look at the myths & hype of this since 5G started people becoming irrational is covered and debunked at Android Authority;
https://www.androidauthority.com/5g-dangers-895776/
Ok, last thing, is the radiation from WiFi harmful? I sleep with my WiFi router in my room and I’m worried that can have a harmful effect too.

Ok, last thing, is the radiation from WiFi harmful? I sleep with my WiFi router in my room and I’m worried that can have a harmful effect too.

Nothing you use normally day to day is harmful enough to worry about. You still get in a car or a bus even though it can crash right? I'm guessing you eat some sort of sugars and fats even though they can cause issues. You have WiFi signals, phone signals, etc.. all around you in every place you go not just from your devices but from people around you with phones, WiFi signals in businesses. No-one that actually works in tech spends time worrying about the equipment they are using.

Sep 16, 2020

Read/re-read the 2nd paragraph. The energy levels are low, lower than they were, and not an issue. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're using the basestation as a pillow warmer, and then it's likely more of a fire hazard.

If you're overly concerned, which it seems you are, then put the router a couple extra feet further away from your person in a spot that still gives you good coverage and also added space to address your apprehension.

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Read/re-read the 2nd paragraph. The energy levels are low, lower than they were, and not an issue. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're using the basestation as a pillow warmer, and then it's likely more of a fire hazard.

If you're overly concerned, which it seems you are, then put the router a couple extra feet further away from your person in a spot that still gives you good coverage and also added space to address your apprehension.
Okay, i cant really move my router anywhere else in my house because the one cord runs through the floor, and it seems like its okay, and i try to keep myself farther away from it when I sleep. It’s on a desk next to me but i try to keep my head away from it and sleep as far away on my bed as possible.
Nothing you use normally day to day is harmful enough to worry about. You still get in a car or a bus even though it can crash right? I'm guessing you eat some sort of sugars and fats even though they can cause issues. You have WiFi signals, phone signals, etc.. all around you in every place you go not just from your devices but from people around you with phones, WiFi signals in businesses. No-one that actually works in tech spends time worrying about the equipment they are using.
okay, are there any ways I can more prevent myself from the radiation like turning off WiFi or something like that at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS