Worried About Updates

ElementAMD

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Ok, I was looking up the updates my PC is going to apply upon shutdown. These seriously scare me to death. They are Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3147458). and Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140741). How bad are they, really? And how likely are they to really destroy the operating system? I don't want to download them if it's as bad as its made out to be.

Solution

"all the news"
From where? I've not seen this. And I try to keep my ear to the ground on these type of things.

Specific to this particular update?

Because any update, for any OS, carries a risk of fail.

FWIW, none of my Win 10 systems have seen any fail from any of the updates.

USAFRet

Titan
No, they will NOT 'destroy' the OS.
Yes, they are quite recommended.

You system is not magic, or significantly different than anyone elses.
Do it, and just let it run.

You do have a backup in the teeny case where things go wrong, correct?

USAFRet

Titan

"all the news"
From where? I've not seen this. And I try to keep my ear to the ground on these type of things.

Specific to this particular update?

Because any update, for any OS, carries a risk of fail.

FWIW, none of my Win 10 systems have seen any fail from any of the updates.

Solution
I've heard a lot on the internet about these updates causing problems, but I service PCs for a side job and I've had at least eighty Windows 10 version 1511 PCs come through and I've never seen any that had update related problems. Most of the PCs that come through my service are having problems because the older hardware is not compatible with Win 10 in the first place.

I've been running Windows 10 on two test desktops since 10/1/14 (as an insider) and now an additional 4 desktops and a laptop, and haven't seen any problems with updates. I've been installing all the recommended Windows updates since Windows 98 came out with it and subsequent releases, and haven't personally seen any problems with any of them. If you spend a lot of time reading forum posts, you'll no doubt see a lot of strange problems reported but I'm convinced that's because there are a lot of folks tinkering around with things they don't understand and are greeted by Murphy.

One thing I've seen in a lot of cases is people who run these so-called registry cleaners. These things can delete entries that aren't currently used but MS put there for future use. Then when updates come along and try to use them, problems arise, and these people blame the updates (and not the registry cleaner that is the real cause of the problem).

Bottom line, don't worry about Windows updates - you may run into things that don't always work right, but the updates are the last thing I'd be worried about.

Good luck.