Worried century link is pulling one over on me and I don't know much about Network speeds

SquirrelTeamSix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2015
Hey all, I am moving to a new town and I am working on getting internet set up at the new place. I have charter 100 mbps right now and the only option at my new place is 25 mbps of a fiber optic connection.

They say it will be better because it is an individual line rather than charters being shared between everyone who has charter in the area. The fiber will be hooked up through the phone jack to the electrical box. Is this normal and accurate? I know very little about these things, any information would be great.

Solution
What ISP choices do you have at the "new place"?

Who is "they"? I believe "Century Link" but please confirm.

For the most part your internet service will be via a network serving everyone in the area. The service connections just branch off into towns, neighborhoods, streets, and finally residences.

Difficult to know, right up front, what piece of that you will end up with and the resulting end speeds.

If the ISP does not maintain the lines and connections speeds will be slow. No matter what.

And there is plenty of fine print in the contract that relieves them of most responsibility to provide the contractual speeds.

Does not matter what the "road" is: too much traffic and congestion aka "slowdowns" will occur.

And your...

Ralston18

Titan
What ISP choices do you have at the "new place"?

Who is "they"? I believe "Century Link" but please confirm.

For the most part your internet service will be via a network serving everyone in the area. The service connections just branch off into towns, neighborhoods, streets, and finally residences.

Difficult to know, right up front, what piece of that you will end up with and the resulting end speeds.

If the ISP does not maintain the lines and connections speeds will be slow. No matter what.

And there is plenty of fine print in the contract that relieves them of most responsibility to provide the contractual speeds.

Does not matter what the "road" is: too much traffic and congestion aka "slowdowns" will occur.

And your connection should not be going through the electrical box. There may be a central location where services (electric, gas, phone, internet) come into your new residence. However, the "boxes" should be physically separate.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

All else being equal, a 25mbps line is not 'better' than a 100mbps line.
That's salesperson talk going on.

At some point, everything is 'shared'.

"Fiber hooked through the phone box" ? no. That is simply fiber to the neighborhood. Not fiber to the house.
Completely different, and really 'shared'...

At some location in your neighborhood, a fiber line comes in. After that...phone lines to the houses.
Shared happens at that neighborhood node.

Salesman doublespeak.

What actual options are available at your new residence?

TRENDING THREADS