Worried I damaged components

gherbert739

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
I recently installed two new fans (corsair ll120) into my motherboard (ASUS Rog Strix b350-f) with the RGB header. But apparently you're not supposed to use those two together. You're supposed to by a seperate corsair hub. When i turned by PC on i heard many clicks and smelt smokiness i assume from the fans. I pulled out the fan headers and continued with going on my PC and playing PUBG. It was not normal what frames i was getting. I was getting significant frame drops and less frames than normal. I am worried if I have broken other parts from my PC. I sent my motherboard back as i aksed another question and was stated my motherboard volt control may have broke. I also must add that my temperatures displayed for my CPU where glitching around with 10 degrees above or below changing instantly.

Please let me know if i have damaged something else other than my motherboard and or maybe fans.

cheers,
George

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
You plugged the Corsair RGB headers into the motherboards RGB headers? The Aura RGB headers?

If that's what you did, at the very least you destroyed the RGB LEDs on the fans. The Corsair RGB fans are 5V and Asus Aura is 12V.

I don't think that it's likely that you damaged the motherboard but I suppose it's possible. For the LL fans, they do have a kit with all of the required components (fans, RGB Fan Hub and Lighting Node Pro).

gherbert739

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

Ok thank you for your reply.

gherbert739

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

Ok i bought two single packed fans and they don't come with the corsair rgb hub and lighting node pro unfortunately. I asked to return my fans and get the three pack do you think the fans are broken and i will get in trouble?

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017

Yes, I think that the fans are broken. 12V in a 5V LED doesn't do good things.

Can you return them and will you get in trouble? I've no idea. Technically, this would not qualify for a Corsair RMA request (due to misuse, not a defect) but your retailer may have a different policy.