Question Worried if my PSU is enough for a GPU upgrade considering the many drives and devices in my system

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I have a system that's a mess of Frankensteined parts from half of a dead system, and I always planned to upgrade some of the more older parts that ended up in it when I could, namely the GPU. Out of curiosity I was checking out the prices of used GPUs on eBay right now and was surprised that used RTX 3080 Tis of all things are around 500-600, especially if you get lucky at an auction.

I looked up what kind of PSU one might need for a card like that and saw multiple mentions of 750 Watts, I figured I would be fine with the 850 Watt PSU in my system. However, as I mentioned it's also a mess of a lot of other hardware that I do plan to keep in it. So I checked several PSU calculator sites, and they were all over the place. Some recommended as low as 650 watts, which feels really pushing it even if the only thing in the system was the 3080 Ti, while others recommended as high as 1200 watts. Many were around the 800 range which worries me if it cuts it that close.

Here is a PcPartPicker link, but as I said, the system is a mess and that is a lot of nonsense here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cyber_Akuma/saved/vJypBm

Just to make it easier, a list of the important parts are:

CPU: 11700K (stock)
RAM: 2x32GB DDR4 (MIGHT upgrade this to 4x32GB if it gets cheap to pick up a second kit, prices of DDR4 are falling rapidly lately)
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (Like I said, planning to maybe replace it with a 3080 TI in the future)
Fans:
1x 230mm
3x 200mm
1x 140mm
Storage:
1x NVME, but I will at the very minimum add one more if not two more
1x Blu-Ray Burner
5x SATA HDDs connected to a RAID card
I also have a sound card connected but I assume that's not really going to use up much power, and several USB accessories.
PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-850 850 Watt

Yes I know, there is a lot going on here, and I am starting to worry that even with a 850 watt PSU there is a little TOO much additional hardware to handle something as power-hungry as a 3080 TI. I have no idea when I will even get it, if I even get it or just get something else entirely (at this rate the RTX 5000 line will be out by the time I can upgrade my GPU) but I wanted to check if I were to get an RTX 3080 Ti right now if you think my PSU would be enough, the 1000 watt version of that PSU is pretty expensive.

I have a system that's a mess of Frankensteined parts from half of a dead system, and I always planned to upgrade some of the more older parts that ended up in it when I could, namely the GPU. Out of curiosity I was checking out the prices of used GPUs on eBay right now and was surprised that used RTX 3080 Tis of all things are around 500-600, especially if you get lucky at an auction.

I looked up what kind of PSU one might need for a card like that and saw multiple mentions of 750 Watts, I figured I would be fine with the 850 Watt PSU in my system. However, as I mentioned it's also a mess of a lot of other hardware that I do plan to keep in it. So I checked several PSU calculator sites, and they were all over the place. Some recommended as low as 650 watts, which feels really pushing it even if the only thing in the system was the 3080 Ti, while others recommended as high as 1200 watts. Many were around the 800 range which worries me if it cuts it that close.

Here is a PcPartPicker link, but as I said, the system is a mess and that is a lot of nonsense here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cyber_Akuma/saved/vJypBm

RAM: 2x32GB DDR4 (MIGHT upgrade this to 4x32GB if it gets cheap to pick up a second kit, prices of DDR4 are falling rapidly lately)
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (Like I said, planning to maybe replace it with a 3080 TI in the future)
Fans:
1x 230mm
3x 200mm
1x 140mm
Storage:
1x Blu-Ray Burner
I also have a sound card connected but I assume that's not really going to use up much power, and several USB accessories.

Yes I know, there is a lot going on here, and I am starting to worry that even with a 850 watt PSU there is a little TOO much additional hardware to handle something as power-hungry as a 3080 TI. I have no idea when I will even get it, if I even get it or just get something else entirely (at this rate the RTX 5000 line will be out by the time I can upgrade my GPU) but I wanted to check if I were to get an RTX 3080 Ti right now if you think my PSU would be enough, the 1000 watt version of that PSU is pretty expensive.
Your psu is perfect, again 750w is the recommended for normal users, with the extra parts you have they draw power but not to much so the extra 100w's is perfect I wouldn't see an issue with running the system I normally recommend 1000w psu now a days because you have no idea how power hungery ones card can get plus it makes the system a little more future proof as stronger and stronger cards get released

Fans:
1x 230mm
3x 200mm
1x 140mm
Storage:
1x Blu-Ray Burner

This PSU is Good enough for 3080Ti.. and it's internals looks promising.. I would not suggest change this PSU for Next 3 more years.. it's good enough to stay strong..

Even you can go on with 4080 with This PSU as much as I know.. these PSUs can Continuously diliver 100% of rated power and can Handle 120% of rated load for small intervals.. like 1000 watts too.. so don't worry about PSU.. it's fine...

Peripherals like hard drives take very little power, perhaps 10w, and that is mostly at startup time.
You may want to implement a stagger HDD startup if your motherboard allows that.
Seasonic Prime PX850 is an outstanding quality psu.
It should have no problem with a 3080ti.
3000 series cards can have high power spikes.
If, for some reason your psu can't handle one, you would probably experience an abend, but no damage.