Worried my current build is outdated - worth starting fresh?

SirMeanMachine

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Hi guys, as the title indicates I'm concerned about how much longer my current build will stay relevant. I built it with the help of the forums about 3-4 years ago and has served me well. I'm currently getting good scores through benchmark and real world results are good with most new games hitting >60fps on 1440p medium-high and higher on 1080p ultra. I imagine 1080p will be fine for some years yet with new games.

Starting to find it hard to find where to upgrade it, so starting to think about a fresh build, preferably one that will last me 5 years or so.

Current rig;
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asrock z97 extreme4

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

Storage: crucial mx100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£99.99)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Storage: Toshiba 3tb hdd

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon r9 290x tri x oc x2 (crossfire)

Case: NZXT Phantom 530

Power Supply: corsair 1200w psu

Optical Drives: LG blu-ray drive

So what do you think, worth starting again? Worth waiting for now and seeing where tech goes over the next year or so? I am considering putting another 8gb ram in for now, but unsure if that money will be better served in a new machine.

Edit: also considering changing to amd processor, but don't know if it's worthwhile over Intel, any suggestions?

Solution
Spectre/Meltdown are a pair of vulnerabilities built into almost every modern intel and amd (see above post for specifics) CPU that can allow a malicious user to access your system. Attempts to fix the issue with software updates has been less than friendly, reducing performance from 6% to 30%, depending on CPU and workload.
The hardware fix (more reliable than a software fix) will start showing up in the next generation processors as well as the redesigned current gen processors. This is expected to happen over the next 6 to 12 months, so I would wait until those fixes are implemented personally.

image.png
is what I had.

2018_PC.png
is what I have.

Even upgrading to the 8700K isn't wrth it. $500+ for maybe 20% increase in performance in some titles.

Now's a bad time for upgrading GFX card. RAM's inflated as well.

USAFRet

Titan

It will stay relevant right up until the day it no longer does what you need it to do.
You're the only one who can tell that.

SirMeanMachine

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
I see, I knew there would realistically be little difference with the cpu. I haven't overclocked mine at all yet and am only just hitting slight bottlenecks so not a huge concern on that front. Yeah I get what you mean about gpu, although I am tempted to swap my crossfire 290xs for a 1080 as i found an Rog strix and an Armour both for around the £600 mark that caught my eye, but that's just me looking to push up to 4k which isn't hugely necessary for me right now I guess. Is there any indication that ram will come back down again or is that because of mining as well?

Spectre/meltdown flaw? Not familiar, what is that?does that apply to Intel and amd?

I know my system is fine for what I want to do right now, gaming is no issue at the moment really as I'm only seeing slight slowdowns in hungry games like pubg occasionally, I think I'm just addicted to building systems aha. So probably better I just start saving and look to build later?

Jesse_20

Distinguished
Spectre/Meltdown are a pair of vulnerabilities built into almost every modern intel and amd (see above post for specifics) CPU that can allow a malicious user to access your system. Attempts to fix the issue with software updates has been less than friendly, reducing performance from 6% to 30%, depending on CPU and workload.
The hardware fix (more reliable than a software fix) will start showing up in the next generation processors as well as the redesigned current gen processors. This is expected to happen over the next 6 to 12 months, so I would wait until those fixes are implemented personally.

Solution

SirMeanMachine

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Ah right, I think I have some reading up to do, but I think I'll wait for those new cpus then. Thanks for the information.

Now begins the hunt for some reasonably priced ram.... Thanks guys! All been a great help