Question Worries about a graphics card I want to buy

Chadders101

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
Hello everyone!

I have been using an R9 380 for years now and it has served me well, but I believe it's time to an upgrade. XFX's 5700 XT THICC II looks beautiful and is the cheapest on the market in my country (UK). I was going to snap one up but some very worrying reviews started coming in.

There have been multiple posts on multiple websites about memory temperatures reaching as high as 98 degrees. This is alarming high, but I'm still considering buying it.

Is this something hat can be fixed, for example in the next batch of cards that get created?

What are the chances that I will have the same problems?

Are the reports of high memory temperatures a good representation of what these cards are actually putting out?

Is the problem anything to do with the 3rd party seller? NR INFO. I have had problems with them in the past.

Here is a link to the Amazon page I will be buying from, as you can see, the reviews are worrying. (But I'm not bothered by the driver issues, those will fix themselves )

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07VXNDGK5/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A206ULAR6UT9T8&psc=1

Thank you all for reading, and thank you in advance.

There have been multiple posts on multiple websites about memory temperatures reaching as high as 98 degrees. This is alarming high, but I'm still considering buying it.

Those complaints are about the blower-type reference GPU models, not custom AIB SKUs. Some of the custom cards run cooler than expected. Thermals are better. The above post mostly applies to reference blower-type GPUs. You can buy any custom AIB model, if you wish.

The NAVI reference GPUs still run hot, and they are not that power efficient as NVIDIA, despite being fabbed on a smaller process node, 7nm..

Early users of AMD's RX 5700 series graphics cards have been worried, seeing HIGH temperatures for their GPUs while seeing AMD cooling solution target relatively low acoustic targets, at least for a blower fan cooled graphics card.

But AMD has just released a community update for its Radeon 5700 series graphics cards, confirming that high (110°C) "hotspot" temperatures for their graphics cards is "expected and within spec". Furthermore, AMD confirmes that their designs will maintain the company's intended acoustic and reliability targets.

But this sounds strange to me. I'm still hesitant to buy these new NAVI cards, the blower-type Model, not the CUSTOM one like the XFX thicc.

https://community.amd.com/community...nced-thermal-monitoring-maximized-performance

https://www.techpowerup.com/258228/...nd-within-spec-amd-on-rx-5700-series-thermals

Hello everyone!

I have been using an R9 380 for years now and it has served me well, but I believe it's time to an upgrade. XFX's 5700 XT THICC II looks beautiful and is the cheapest on the market in my country (UK). I was going to snap one up but some very worrying reviews started coming in.

Is this something hat can be fixed, for example in the next batch of cards that get created?

What are the chances that I will have the same problems?

Are the reports of high memory temperatures a good representation of what these cards are actually putting out?

Is the problem anything to do with the 3rd party seller? NR INFO. I have had problems with them in the past.

Here is a link to the Amazon page I will be buying from, as you can see, the reviews are worrying. (But I'm not bothered by the driver issues, those will fix themselves )

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07VXNDGK5/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A206ULAR6UT9T8&psc=1

Thank you all for reading, and thank you in advance.
Those sound like blower issues, if you’re that concerned though you can always undervolt the card for better thermals.

Chadders101

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
Those complaints are about the blower-type reference GPU models, not custom AIB SKUs. Some of the custom cards run cooler than expected. Thermals are better. The above post mostly applies to reference blower-type GPUs. You can buy any custom AIB model, if you wish.

The NAVI reference GPUs still run hot, and they are not that power efficient as NVIDIA, despite being fabbed on a smaller process node, 7nm..

Early users of AMD's RX 5700 series graphics cards have been worried, seeing HIGH temperatures for their GPUs while seeing AMD cooling solution target relatively low acoustic targets, at least for a blower fan cooled graphics card.

But AMD has just released a community update for its Radeon 5700 series graphics cards, confirming that high (110°C) "hotspot" temperatures for their graphics cards is "expected and within spec". Furthermore, AMD confirmes that their designs will maintain the company's intended acoustic and reliability targets.

But this sounds strange to me. I'm still hesitant to buy these new NAVI cards, the blower-type Model, not the CUSTOM one like the XFX thicc.

https://community.amd.com/community...nced-thermal-monitoring-maximized-performance

https://www.techpowerup.com/258228/...nd-within-spec-amd-on-rx-5700-series-thermals

Hi there! Thank for your speedy reply!

The reviews I'm talking about are most certainty talking specifically about the THICC II. Check that link I posted linking to Amazon. There is a review there with an image of high temps relating to this specific card.

I find it strange that this is the only card with memory temp issues, while all other AIB models are absolutely fine.

I have heard that high temps are "Within spec" before, but I would still much rather have a cool card as opposed to a hot one.

The only thing I really want an answer to is this: Will XFX do anything to change their next batch of cards to address memory temperatures?

I am also very averse to buying the reference models, and I would gladly fish out another £30 for a cooling solution 90% larger than the reference design. But I would expect some kind of temperature changes along with that

I have been shopping for 5700 XT models for weeks now. I've been carefully picking through forums and looking at images and reviews and the memory temps are the only issues I can find With this otherwise perfect looking card