Question Worries about installing XT 6650 OC into my system with a 550w PSU

Jun 24, 2023
I'm getting this new ASUS XT 6650 OC version, but i'm having worries installing it into my system as i noticed ASUS recommends a 650w PSU for this card while i only have a 550w PSU.

However looking abit online, i find other XT 6650's OC, with different manufacturers. For instance ASrock recommends a 550w for their OC version of this card. These two cards are overclocked the same amount in terms of clock speeds, which leaves me wondering why there would be this discrepancy. Shouldn't i be fine? Why would ASUS require more.

To sum it up.
Should i be worried? Will i break my system?

My system otherwise consists of:
Intel i5 - 11600k (not overclocked)
2x 8gb ddr4 ram

What is exact model name of your PSU?
You can find model name printed on PSU info label.
Or better show photo of PSU info label (upload to imgur.com and post link).

If you have a good quality PSU and don't do any overclocking and don't have 10x 3.5" HDDs in your system, then 550W PSU should be fine.

With low quality PSU you can blow up your entire system and even burn down your house, if unlucky enough.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm getting this new ASUS XT 6650 OC version, but i'm having worries installing it into my system as i noticed ASUS recommends a 650w PSU for this card while i only have a 550w PSU.

However looking abit online, i find other XT 6650's OC, with different manufacturers. For instance ASrock recommends a 550w for their OC version of this card. These two cards are overclocked the same amount in terms of clock speeds, which leaves me wondering why there would be this discrepancy. Shouldn't i be fine? Why would ASUS require more.

To sum it up.
Should i be worried? Will i break my system?

My system otherwise consists of:
Intel i5 - 11600k (not overclocked)
2x 8gb ddr4 ram
What power supply do you have in general 550 watts is fine for what your using.

Jun 24, 2023
What is exact model name of your PSU?
You can find model name printed on PSU info label.
Or better show photo of PSU info label (upload to imgur.com and post link).

If you have a good quality PSU and don't do any overclocking and don't have 10x 3.5" HDDs in your system, then 550W PSU should be fine.

With low quality PSU you can blow up your entire system and even burn down your house, if unlucky enough.
Corsair VS550

TRENDING THREADS