[SOLVED] Worse benchmark results after GPU upgrade

Jan 16, 2021
Hello everyone. Recently I replaced my MSI GTX 1060 3GB AERO card with an MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT GAMING X 8GB card. So far it's working great excluding one tiny (or not so tiny) detail - it's actually worse than my 1060 card while it's not supposed to be. Both cards are the same brand and are tested on the same system. With the
GTX 1060 I was getting about 62 FPS in Unigune heaven whereas with the RX 5500 XT I am getting around 54 to 57 FPS with the same setting (maxed out). I also had to switch my PSU because the previous one had only 6 pin pcie connector and for the new card I need an 8 pin one (previous one was 480W, new one is 600W)..

I dont really seem to get what's causing that difference in performance. The 5500 XT has more stream processors, higher memory bandwidth, and a higher core clock. The only thing is that I'm using the RX 5500 XT with a PCIe 3.0 slot (my mobo has only pci 3.0) and the card states to be 4.0 which I doubt to be the issue. When I open GPU-Z it says that the card is x8 even though MSI states that its x16 and its plugged into x16 slot.

I tried using radeon software to boost the frequencies but there wasnt any real difference.
I'll post links to the two cards so you can compare them as well. I feel a bit frustrated since I expected at least the same performance if not better. For those asking for the reason I am doing such a small upgrade - I needed a radeon card because I'm planning to hackintosh my PC and nvidia is not supported. Also my budget fidnt allow me to get higher end GPU.

I hope someone can help me or at least explain to me the reason for that to happen. I am using the latest version of the driver. I also tried with older and results were the same. I also reinstalled windows after replacing the card. Thanks in advance.

My other parts;
i5 - 7400
motherboard Asus H110M-CS
16GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM

Links:
Nvidia (old gpu):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...060_aero_itx_3g_oc_geforce_gtx_1060_aero.html

AMD (new GPU):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1527977-REG/msi_r5500xtgx8_radeon_rx_5500_xt.html

Solution
Hello everyone. Recently I replaced my MSI GTX 1060 3GB AERO card with an MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT GAMING X 8GB card. So far it's working great excluding one tiny (or not so tiny) detail - it's actually worse than my 1060 card while it's not supposed to be. Both cards are the same brand and are tested on the same system. With the
GTX 1060 I was getting about 62 FPS in Unigune heaven whereas with the RX 5500 XT I am getting around 54 to 57 FPS with the same setting (maxed out). I also had to switch my PSU because the previous one had only 6 pin pcie connector and for the new card I need an 8 pin one (previous one was 480W, new one is 600W)..

I dont really seem to get what's causing that difference in performance. The 5500 XT has more...

I dont really seem to get what's causing that difference in performance. The 5500 XT has more stream processors, higher memory bandwidth, and a higher core clock. The only thing is that I'm using the RX 5500 XT with a PCIe 3.0 slot (my mobo has only pci 3.0) and the card states to be 4.0 which I doubt to be the issue. When I open GPU-Z it says that the card is x8 even though MSI states that its x16 and its plugged into x16 slot.
Going from a GeForce GTX 1060 to a Radeon RX 5500 XT, is not much of an upgrade, since they perform similar.
The Radeon RX 5500 XT performs just a bit better than the GTX 1060, on games that require more VRAM and on higher resolutions.

Download the latest AMD GPU drivers
Use DDU is safe mode to remove all video drivers (AMD, Nvidia and Intel ).
Select Clean an DO NOT restart button, so you do not have to restart after removing each driver.
After removing the last one select Clean and restart button
After rebooting, let Windows do its thing....then install the AMD GPU drivers.

Solution
Jan 16, 2021
Going from a GeForce GTX 1060 to a Radeon RX 5500 XT, is not much of an upgrade, since they perform similar.
The Radeon RX 5500 XT performs just a bit better than the GTX 1060, on games that require more VRAM and on higher resolutions.

Download the latest AMD GPU drivers
Use DDU is safe mode to remove all video drivers (AMD, Nvidia and Intel ).
Select Clean an DO NOT restart button, so you do not have to restart after removing each driver.
After removing the last one select Clean and restart button
After rebooting, let Windows do its thing....then install the AMD GPU drivers.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I did a clean install of windows and installed the latest stable driver using radeon software. Though you said it should perform a bit better than the 1060 in games but it doesnt. In fact it feels a bit more unstable in Rocket League and Minecraft shaders. Do you think that could be the PCIe slot bottlenecking it? Also why does it say x8 when the card should be x16 and its plugged into a x16 slot? Thanks

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I did a clean install of windows and installed the latest stable driver using radeon software. Though you said it should perform a bit better than the 1060 in games but it doesnt. In fact it feels a bit more unstable in Rocket League and Minecraft shaders.
Yes, I have installed a couple of RX 5500 XT and they were performing better by 6-7fps over the the GTX 1060.
That's why I also stated that going from a GTX 1060 to a Radeon RX 5500 XT, is not much of an upgrade
By the way I was using a 1440p/ 144Hz monitor, which might help the RX 5500 XT performed a bit better.

Do you think that could be the PCIe slot bottlenecking it? Also why does it say x8 when the card should be x16 and its plugged into a x16 slot? Thanks
Neither the GTX 1060 nor the RX 5500 XT have enough bandwidth to saturate the PCIe x8...so that should not be the cause of the performance you are getting.
Low end motherboards might share the PCIe lanes, so it could be that SATA or high speed USB 3 might be taking the other lanes.

Just make sure the GPU is seated properly, since that could also cause that issue.