Question Worse fps with better components

Jul 21, 2022
I recently replaced my motherboard and CPU as well as fresh installed windows on a new ssd and downloaded all my graphics drivers and what not. I did not format my old drive as I had a lot games and it would have taken days for me to reinstall all of them with my internet. That being said, I was running windows on the new ssd. As I was running some games (installed on old hard drive) I noticed huge performance drops. I got more consistent and higher frame rates with a 6 year old CPU than I did with a 2 year old one. For example, I was getting an inconsistent 25 fps in bo3 on medium settings, a game I was previously able to run at a solid 45. This PC should be capable of running this game far better yet it is struggling. My GPU did not change. Any tips in fixing this would be well appreciated.
Specs:
Rx 6600
Ryzen 7 5800x (I don't know my previous one off the top of my head but I do know it was far worse than this one in every way.)
B450 aorus m
Idk the ram exactly but it's 2x8 Samsung branded 2400mhz

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If I got this right: Before the new SSD, there was only one drive connected to the PC that both Windows and the game library shared?

If so, you still have Windows registry and driver files of the older hardware that must be cleaned off. Even though you have installed Windows on the new drive using a pendrive or other, when you boot up, it's going to pick up those older contents, and you're screwed.
Find a means to back up those games and save files, and clean that drive up.

Jul 21, 2022
If I got this right: Before the new SSD, there was only one drive connected to the PC that both Windows and the game library shared?

If so, you still have Windows registry and driver files of the older hardware that must be cleaned off. Even though you have installed Windows on the new drive using a pendrive or other, when you boot up, it's going to pick up those older contents, and you're screwed.

so i tried formatting my old drive and doing another fresh windows install, installed a game with similar results.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022
to have a look what the problem could be:
run userbenchmark.com and post the http link of your result, e.g. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28977730

which BIOS version is installed on the motherboard? Most likely the CPU is not 100% supported by the BIOS which is factory default flashed on it.

check the temperatures of the CPU by hwinfo
CPU was running at about 90 degrees according to hwinfo after doing the benchmark. I tried using an aio but i was missing the am4 mounting brackets so i used a stock stealth cooler that came with an older cpu. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/54055359 bios version f62. i had to manually update to that with my old cpu in order for it it work with my current one.

Last edited:
CPU was running at about 90 degrees according to hwinfo after doing the benchmark. I tried using an aio but i was missing the am4 mounting brackets so i used a stock stealth cooler that came with an older cpu. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/54055359 bios version f62. i had to manually update to that with my old cpu in order for it it work with my current one.
Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a link.

It looks like your ram is running at 2400Mhz, assuming you have faster ram than this you should enable XMP in the bios.
it´s 2400MHz RAM, no change needed

replace the old cooler which is most likely not good enough for your new CPU, the CPU is throttling to 3.1GHz and while running the 1st userbenc it only was @1.65GHz, should be more than 3.8GHz average, so the CPU could be too hot and therefore is throttling

did you reapply new paste to the cooler before installing?

would be very helpful if you could check again which old CPU was installed before, it´s written on it like:

Last edited: