[SOLVED] Worse Load Temps on EK 360MM AIO than Noctua NH-14s

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
Hi guys

I made the earlier thread asking about how to mount an AIO properly. I have a 10850K that I was able to push to 5.0Ghz on air, on the NH-14s. My temps in stress tests never went past 91C. And I ran these tests for a while. Excited and based on feedback I got on 3 different forums including this one, I was told an AIO was the way to go. I have never had any form of water cooling ever. I decided to try it and spend money on what reviews like Gamer NExus deem the best AIO along with the AF II series CLCs which I bought but never used because they don't have a fill port and come with only 2 year waranty as opposed to EK's 5 year warranty

Anyways the block came with a preapplied paste evenly spread to its surface but I scaped it off to use Kryonaut since it's been a good paste. First attempts I got these temps:
eSI0NKV.png

These were unnacceptable to me as these temps except for the lowest temped cores were about the same or worse than the NH-14s. So I took off the cooler and this was what I saw:
WSAB94a.png

Therfore I unmounted and applied the paste that comes with the cooler as I ran out Kryonaut after using it on two other coolers. So i reapplied with the EK paste to this:

JKikBI3.png

And then remounted. My temps are now worse:

GcDvVM4.png

I mean I know that good air coolers often compete with AIOs but check the reviews on this EK 360MM dRGB. It's supposed to be one the best 3 you can get. So it makes no sense I should be getting worse temps than my air cooler NH-14s which isn't even the DH-15

RHOit7v.jpg

Solution
You would overheat fairly quickly. Hoses near the radiator probably wouldn't even be warm & down by the block they both would be.
With a working pump, one hose would be warm and the other one cool since one carries the heat away and the other brings in the cooled water.

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
I definitely get better acoustics on load with the NH-14 than I do with 3 x 120mm fans spinning at 100%. Sadly my mobo won't let me not use 100% on critical temps. It just wont. And even at 60% these 3x120mm fans make a lot of noise pushing air through the radiator. I am not enjoying this AIO at all so far. I exepected better temps at a lower fan noise

UKmKOMZ.png

Somebody said I set the pump to 100% all the time?!!!

3x120 mm fan settings below:
kwUWFAm.png

4PSvVy9.png

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I was about to say...that's A LOT OF PASTE.

I liked the EK AIO, was pretty decent, but its still an AIO.

Also, for your fan curves, you will likely need to play with it a bit to get it setup the way you want. I would recommend pump RPM at 100% at all time then managing your radiator fans in a manner that you want for noise level and performance.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
When people say 'a friend told me' or 'people told me'....I always wonder about the background those references have in terms of how accurately they are providing the information you followed.

I can ask the barista at my local coffee shop on how to make a rocket to fly to space.

I probably won't use the advice, though, considering their expertise and work background.

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
Those people should not be listened to. For anything, ever.
Not PC's, what to have for lunch, what to study at school, what type of beer to drink...nothing.

It is very hard to put on 'too little'.
It is only there for the tiniest layer between CPU and whatever cooler it is in contact with.
When people say 'a friend told me' or 'people told me'....I always wonder about the background those references have in terms of how accurately they are providing the information you followed.

I can ask the barista at my local coffee shop on how to make a rocket to fly to space.

I probably won't use the advice, though, considering their expertise and work background.
Guys in a forum lol

If I have a bad pump or a pump that has failed,, how would I know?

popatim

Titan
You would overheat fairly quickly. Hoses near the radiator probably wouldn't even be warm & down by the block they both would be.
With a working pump, one hose would be warm and the other one cool since one carries the heat away and the other brings in the cooled water.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Flayed
For the application some people would get it for - pushing high overclocks - it's got a major drawback:
It degrades faster with sustained high thermals(~80C). This makes it not so great for stress testing overclocks to confirm stability.
Isn't that part of the reason to buy it?

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
Noctua D15 works much betteer than the EK block. Maybe it's the one I got with what appears to be an uneven surface but yeah I switched to e D15 which is slightly better than my H14. Air cooling it is. I'd be tempted to test out the 280MM AF II freezer I have but thats more time I gotta spend installing and uninstalling stuff that I don't fcare for for extra 100mhz or 200mhz