[SOLVED] Worse temps after new cpu cooler!

GigataBG

Commendable
Aug 13, 2021
I have been using the intel stock cooler for my I5 7400 for about 3 years. Recently I wanted to upgrade becouse of the noise and temps, so i bought the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 and after installing it the temperatures are either the same or worse. What can be causing this problem?

Solution
Four things to check I can suggest related to the thermal paste between heatsink and CPU chip.

1. As the instructions indicate, once you remove the old cooler system, you must clean the top of the CPU chip thoroughly to remove old thermal paste. If you don't, the uneven residue is a barrier to heat flow.

2. Often a cooler system like this arrives with the thermal paste pre-installed and covered for protection by a thin plastic film. You MUST remove that film before installing it on top of the CPU.

3. Alternatively, some arrive with NO thermal paste, or with a little tube of paste that you must apply yourself before mounting the unit. There are particular instructions on how much paste to use for this, depending on what CPU chip you...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Four things to check I can suggest related to the thermal paste between heatsink and CPU chip.

1. As the instructions indicate, once you remove the old cooler system, you must clean the top of the CPU chip thoroughly to remove old thermal paste. If you don't, the uneven residue is a barrier to heat flow.

2. Often a cooler system like this arrives with the thermal paste pre-installed and covered for protection by a thin plastic film. You MUST remove that film before installing it on top of the CPU.

3. Alternatively, some arrive with NO thermal paste, or with a little tube of paste that you must apply yourself before mounting the unit. There are particular instructions on how much paste to use for this, depending on what CPU chip you have, and you must do as they say. Too little is not enough to carry away heat. But too MUCH also if poor - a paste layer too thick will reduce the rate of heat removal.

4. Check the mounting of the unit - the frame you mounted around the CPU socket, and the fastening of the while unit to that frame - to be sure it is snug and stable. If it is off-centre or wobbles a bit, there is poor contact that will not remove heat properly.

Solution

GigataBG

Commendable
Aug 13, 2021
So you have had success by manually setting fixed fan speeds. If you tell us the maker and exact model number of your mobo, we can advise how to get automatic CPU_FAN speed control based on the actual temperature inside the CPU chip.
So my motherboard is Asus H110M-CS. And after using the fan for about a week I've had 0 problems

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
IF you want to have your CPU fan speed controlled automatically by the temperature inside that CPU chip (rather than having it run all the time at 1500 RPM), go into BIOS Setup and use F6 to reach QFan Control for the CPU_FAN header. Set its strategy to "Normal" or "Automatic" (unfortunately, the manual does not show us exactly what words it uses), and to use the new PWM Mode (Not Voltage or DC Mode). Use Esc to get back to Main Menu, then go to the Exit Menu (manual p. 2-4) and choose Save Changes and Exit.

TRENDING THREADS